Blackbeard Cruises?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KZMAN

Reaction score
Has anyone out there been aboard a Blackbeards Cruise? If so could you offer some insite, and overall opinion?:confused:

One of my concerns, is that they seem to have a very limited supply of fresh water. (allowed only 30sec. of fresh water to shower), I wonder about mine and my equipments hygeine.:boom:

I went on a weeklong trip in January (after being cancelled by a November hurricane) and I had an absolute blast. I'm booked again in October and it can't get here fast enough.

The camping at sea line you'll see people throw out on all the posts is true - small single bunk, matress, sheets and blanket. Pack bare necessities, storage is a small shelf. That being said, I slept like a baby

The shower thing sounds much worse than it is. 30 sec is the fresh water time. You can salt water shower much longer. By the end of the day it feels great. Understand your hygene concern but it really wasn't an issue on my trip for the passengers or gear, everything/body stayed clean.

Diving and crew are great, safety well attended to. The office is very helpful on bookings (they are currently offering 100 off for October trips)

Probably as good an experience as the diving was getting to know everyone on board. I went on the trip alone, got off the boat with 18 good friends.

Do yourself a favor, go.

My first post, dont even know if this is goign to work. Let me know if I can answer anything else

Len

Originally posted by Hoogit
I went on a weeklong trip in January (after being cancelled by a November hurricane) and I had an absolute blast. I'm booked again in October and it can't get here fast enough.

The camping at sea line you'll see people throw out on all the posts is true - small single bunk, matress, sheets and blanket. Pack bare necessities, storage is a small shelf. That being said, I slept like a baby

The shower thing sounds much worse than it is. 30 sec is the fresh water time. You can salt water shower much longer. By the end of the day it feels great. Understand your hygene concern but it really wasn't an issue on my trip for the passengers or gear, everything/body stayed clean.

Diving and crew are great, safety well attended to. The office is very helpful on bookings (they are currently offering 100 off for October trips)

Probably as good an experience as the diving was getting to know everyone on board. I went on the trip alone, got off the boat with 18 good friends.

Do yourself a favor, go.

My first post, dont even know if this is goign to work. Let me know if I can answer anything else

Len

Thanks for your reply, Len. I depart in 9 days, and can't wait!
Kevin

Blackbeard's is a hoot. I've sailed with them twice and had a blast each time. I'm sure I will go on another Blackbeards trip in the future.

Here are a few suggestions to make your cruise a bit more pleasant:

Request a bunk anywhere OTHER THAN the furthest forward cabin. It is small, cramped and IMHO, uncomfortable.

If you have special dietary needs (I am a vegetarian) provide for them yourself. The cook may or may not know what to make of your diet. Don't take the chance of being stuck with peanut butter sandwiches and salad at every meal.

Crossing the Gulf Stream can be rough and unpleasant. Take seasickness meds before sailing (ginger pills work for me), even if you think you are immune to seasickness. It's better to be safe then sorry. Be sure to take the meds at least 4 hours before sailing, and follow up with doses as recommended.

It will probably rain on you at least once. Bring rain gear.

If you are doing a week-long cruise you will not be able to get film, batteries, toiletries, etc. until you are almost ready to go home. Remember to bring everything you think you might need. This goes for dive gear as well. If you want to do the night dives, be sure you have a working light and extra batteries.

If you don't own a computer, rent one and learn how to use it before you go. It will make diving %1000 easier and more pleasant.

Check out your gear and make sure everything is in working order. You won't be able to borrow a BC on board if yours has a problem.

Have a "save a dive" kit with you.

If housed in the main cabin, ear plugs might come in handy.

Bring money to tip the crew. They work like slaves to be sure that you have a great trip.

Ask to dive the Hesperus.

Be prepared to have a blast.

Back
Top Bottom