Question Black vs Orange BCD Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MattPNW

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all! Looking for some opinions on a buy once - cry once decision. I'm getting into SM and on the fence between the Xdeep Stealth Tec 2.0 in Black vs in Orange. There are pros and cons for both, but I'd like to hear the communities feedback. The BCD would be used in OW and in caverns (eventually caves!)

What are some reasons that you would opt for color vs black and vice versa?

Pros:
  • Color helps your dive buddies identify you. This is especially nice if in OW. No one wants to be a lost diver.
  • Easy to identify your own gear
Cons:
  • It may look too "flashy" I know that some people like that, but it wouldn't be my focus at all. My hope is that as you drop it fades relatively well as opposed to being safety cone UV orange the whole way down like the Seawing Gorillas for example.
  • In a cave system is this going to annoy anyone who shines a flashlight onto me? (Of course my trim will be SO perfect that they won't even be able to see the orange if they're on my plane.)
Thanks!

Orange Tec 2.0.JPG
Black Tec 2.0.JPG

I have a drysuit with a torso overlay that is very distinctive (DUI purple flames). White fins. I wear this for either OW or cave diving. I don’t give a hoot, really. If you want color, go for it.

I don't know if it matters to you or if you will be using it much but my friends who got orange wings were a bit disappointed because they faded pretty quickly. Black will fade too but the orange would kind of become a weird pinky orange color.

I think getting colored gear is a great idea for underwater identification and preventing loss topside.

I don't know if it matters to you or if you will be using it much but my friends who got orange wings were a bit disappointed because they faded pretty quickly. Black will fade too but the orange would kind of become a weird pinky orange color.
Any chance you know which orange wings they went with? Different oranges fade differently, so I'm curious as to what they had.

Anyone have feedback to how other divers may have to adapt to a bright orange BCD while in dark overhead environments were I'll get flashed with lights?

Anyone have feedback to how other divers may have to adapt to a bright orange BCD while in dark overhead environments were I'll get flashed with lights?

I have white fins. No one has ever complained.

ROYGBIV......

order of disappearance
In general, that works. Modern colors have different levels of UV dyes added in and this can cause colors to show at depth. This is why I made the comment about the Gorillas. For reference... They are pretty darn bright and orange at 100ft depth compared to most muddled oranges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom