Black Flag Charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake 10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello fellow divers. Looking for feedback on Black Flag Charters out of Florida. Pro's - Con's, any article, recommendation, or comments?

I've been out with them once, so I don't have a whole lot of experience with them. They have two boats. One is at the Lake Park marina and the other is just south at the Riviera Beach marina. I went out with Zach and Joey on the Pirates Paradise. The boat was plenty roomy and they gave good briefings, drops, and pickups. That boat is slow and smoky, though. Slow isn't really an issue for me but smoky is. I felt like I was huffing diesel fumes all morning. Other than that, I found them to be a good operation, but there are other ops I prefer to dive with in that area.

I've been out with them once, so I don't have a whole lot of experience with them. They have two boats. One is at the Lake Park marina and the other is just south at the Riviera Beach marina. I went out with Zach and Joey on the Pirates Paradise. The boat was plenty roomy and they gave good briefings, drops, and pickups. That boat is slow and smoky, though. Slow isn't really an issue for me but smoky is. I felt like I was huffing diesel fumes all morning. Other than that, I found them to be a good operation, but there are other ops I prefer to dive with in that area.
What others would you recommend in that area ?

Pura Vida, Walkers, and Narcosis. Most of the regulars use one of those three or a combination.

. They have two boats.
I'll echo @CosbySweater . I've been on their Pirate's boat once. We see them regularly on the water and they are always courteous. They are not a 'single regular routine' boat like always -photo, lobster, shark, deep tech, shallow, students. Rather it varies trip to trip. They like small groups that book the boat and then that determines the trip location that day. When you book, just make sure that you know what's planned.........incase you were expecting a different type of dive activity. I know a couple of their DM's and they are very safe and good people.

What dive activity are you wanting to do?? Lots of boats tend to lean towards one type of activity.

Pura Vida, Walkers, and Narcosis. Most of the regulars use one of those three or a combination.

Divin'Papaw nailed it. Those are the three I primarily use in West Palm.

ok, son is excited. I just booked Pura Vida for July weekend and BHB for Monday.
I will book a Tuesday dive with Black Flag to check them out.
Thank you all for your response and advise.

any suggestions on Vrbo apartments, houses, locations/places to stay near BHB and Pura Vida?

any suggestions
I used to recommend Super 8 North Palm Bch @ 10mins from Pura Vida, but this past year their rates are getting a bit high. Pura Vida has so many travelers that I remember the shop has "special secret rates" setup with 2 different local hotels and they can give you the codes/number to call to make the reservation. A hotel also gives you last minute changes if the weather is un-diveable where a vrbo / airbnb will ding you hard on reputation/score if you cancel last minute.

Also @Divin'Papaw has a couple of favorite hotels when he dives with PV and will chime in.

any suggestions on Vrbo apartments, houses, locations/places to stay near BHB and Pura Vida?

Also @Divin'Papaw has a couple of favorite hotels when he dives with PV and will chime in.

I prefer to stay at brands that give me Hilton Honors or Marriott rewards points or at AirBNBs. The points allow me to occasionally get a free night or two. When I travel for work or with my wife, I try and stay at the same brands to maximize the points.

When the rates get really high, which is typically Holiday Season through the end of Spring Break Season (Dec-Mar), I tend toward low frills AirBNBs where possible, aiming for simply a clean, safe bed to sleep in! Apart from Dec-Mar, I like to stay at the Hampton Inn, Doubletree or Hilton Garden Inn in Palm Beach Gardens. Those are my Go-To favorite hotels. Not low-frills cheap but not high end pricey either. Middle of the road and affordable (I think) 8 months out of the year.

I like Palm Beach Gardens because there are tons of restaurants, it is clean and safe, and doesn't tend to be as crazy busy as West Palm Beach. It also has more hotels in the brands I prefer than Jupiter.

Those are all the secrets, at least that I'm willing to share! :cool:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom