Bizarro thread... Snoring....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nasal pillows. AND they are far better than the mask!

Iggy, the PPP is NOT worth it. Especially if you like to sing. It stands for palatal-pharyngoplasty and I had mine done with tonsil removal and correcting a slightly deviated septum. It did NOT alleviate the snoring, but it was the most painful thing I have ever had done to my body. They stuffed two expandable plastic splints up each nostril and then stuffed in some "packing". The packing looked suspiciously like oversized tampons. The doctor glibly said he would pull them out the following morning. Do you realise the amount of SUCTION one of them suckers has when it is being removed? I thought I was getting a partial labotomy for the same price. I did heave on his shoes, which was the least I could do for him. Talk about no truth in advertising!!!

I am deaf in 1 ear, so I am used to roling over on the good ear when my husband starts his concert. That does not help anyone on the diveboat, however. I would like to hear more about sleep apnea & its implications for diving.:rolleyes:

Well, I see that I am not the only one using a CPAP machine. Best move I ever made going to the sleep clinic. Was really surprised when they told me you could die from lack of O2. I may look like an F-16 pilot but I like the way I feel after a good nights sleep and I like sleeping with my wife and not on the couch. I have used CPAP for about 8 years and take it on all our trips. I sometimes get some strange looks at airport security check points. One time I even had to plug it in and turn it on. I am on my second unit. They are getting smaller, thank goodness. If you are snoring, kicking, falling asleep in meetings or driving, and just don't feel rested when you wake up; GO TO THE SLEEP CLINIC, It may save your life.

My boyfriend had sleep apnea and it was horrible to (try) and sleep in the same bed, even the same room with him. The CPAP has changed both of our lives--we are both far better rested now!

Phillip snores really bad....I mean really bad.....We went on the Kaufmann diet for a month, for health reasons...IT's like a detox diet. Anyway, the whole time he was on the diet he did not snore once. It's weird. But it helped him.
Amber

Another CPAP user here - could never figure out why I felt like crap all the time, even after a full night's sleep.

I wasn't a big snorer - but I was literally stopping breathing in the middle of the night! My brain would send the alert out, and my body would jerk itself awake.

I'm much better rested now, but it takes a bit to get used to the CPAP.

I've had lots of cool scuba dreams too!

I snore and it drives my hubby crazy. I am also a teeth clencher. Seems that through time and clenching my teeth I have given myself an overbite which helps close off my airway at night. I had my dentist take impressions for a snore guard. It is one piece and fits over both the upper and lower teeth forcing my lower jaw forward. It was 500.00 but well worth it since it works great. Hubby says he can't tell when I'm asleep anymore. Other benefits besides not snoring have been that my jaws and teeth don't hurt in the mornings anymore. It took a week or so for that to happen though. At first they hurt every morning more than before. If you are a mouth breather there are holes in it for you. Bad things about it are at first you will drool. YUK! The other thing is that if you have a cold and are not a mouth breather you may feel like your suffocating. I just leave it out then. Has been great for me and for hubby.

Use the breathe-right strips to help hold your buddies nasal passages open while you shove the ear plugs in.

I have a white noise maker from Sharper Image. They make one that is also a travel alarm clock which is nice. They have them with CD players as well, or just the noise maker by itself. It is so nice, and you can't hear people snoring. I have used it in a full room of people, and no one complained, and said that they all slept great. I take it on dive trips, b/c my regular dive buddy snores...

One night he was snoring away, and I thought I actually might have to turn the sound machine up louder. About five minutes later, he quits snoring and tells me ... "You're going to have to turn that thing off man, I can't get to sleep"

I can't believe this is a topic. I have been compared to a freight train, a tornado, motorboat, jet airplane, and many more. When I told my new dive buddy that my wife and I sleep in seperate rooms, he said that was unreasonable.(we are happily married)Then we went on a dive trip in his camper. When the trip was over, HE bought my wife flowers and said he was sorry for her!The last dive trip we bought some of those "breathe rite" strips. Didn't work. This weekend we're going again. My wife thinks I will die in my sleep some day from lack of o2. How or who do you ask to get help for this problem? How serious does it have to be to get checked out?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom