Bit of a housing flood need a hand with repairs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveTub

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi Sea&Sea
Wondering if you can give me a hand here.

Whilst conducting 35 dives over 10 days I had a very minor flood on my D80 housing, salt water into the TTL Converter port on the housing itself.

Unfortunately this went unnoticed due to the amount of diving and me not pulling the converter out of the port after every dive. Hence some corrosion has taken place.

The two pins with springs under them are now not sliding all the way back up, took me alot of pocking and prodding to get them from flush to a few mm off the bottom so the connectors would still touch for the remainder of the trip.

Anyway I fear there may be some more unseen corrosion underneath in the springs as the pins no longer come up to full height bit less than halfway.

Not being too happy in sending the housing back to the local dealer can you please give me a hand in effecting the disassembly and cleaning of the converter port pins and springs.

Cheers
Chris

HI Chris-
The best solution would be to contact your local distributor's service center or Japan directly. A flooded sync port could cause a short in the system. The SEA&SEA service center will be able to test all components to ensure proper function. They will also be able to pressure test your housing to to be sure you do not suffer another leak. You certainly can contact one of our US service centers - the East coast may be able to turn-around your equipment in an expedited manner.

Last edited:
Thanks Sea&Sea
The local Distributor wants to charge me like a wounded bull.

I will look at sending it back to Japan if I can't fix it myself.

Cheers
Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom