Birthday gadget purchase: help me choose!

Which safety gadget?

• Nitrox Analyzer

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • EPIRB

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well you MIGHT get lost and need to send out the sig for help. But you HAVE to breath what goes in your lungs.

I have both and don't leave home without either. Some times the EPIRB stays dry in the dive gear bags if I don't need it for that dive. But I aways analyze every tank of gas I breath. Don't forget to make sure you test for CO as well.

And as for, well the shop has one and I'll just use theirs. So you trust their electronics with your life...not I.

Of those two the analyzer, O2 hit will kill you.

A few Tektite strobes are handy, you can see them along ways or light up an SMB, a buddy with a strobe on is easier to track in PNW crappy viz

I'm staring down the barrel at my thirtieth birthday... in less than two weeks. Gulp.

On the other hand, a birthday is an excellent time to get more gadgets. I've narrowed my choice to two categories:

• Nitrox Analyzer
  • EPIRB

Background: I'm a Great Lakes wreck diver right now, but I'm moving to Seattle in September and will be doing a lot of shore diving. Have AN/DP, doing dives to 135-150 feet about twice a month now. Unsure of future access to deep sites without boating. Will be in grad school with reduced income to cover maintenance costs.

Also open to other essential equipment suggestions in the $200-300 range.

why GULP at 30? Or even 40. Things start slowing down late 40s to early 50s for men and women. 30 years old you are just hitting your stride. Heck they say the human brain isnt even fully developed until 26 years old. Mentally and income earning wise you are just coming into your prime.

Slowing down in late 40s, what?

I had the time of my life

I got certified at 47. I’m 50. This is my best diving year yet!

It wasn't just diving though that was certainly a very big part of it. Lots of adventure, new friends, travel, I felt awesome and would repeat that decade if I could. LOL

If you know there will be an analyser where you go, get the EPIRB but that said, you’re always going to need gas while diving and you won’t always be diving in the ocean.

If you know there will be an analyser where you go, get the EPIRB but that said, you’re always going to need gas while diving and you won’t always be diving in the ocean.

PLBs can be used on land or anywhere else, not just the ocean. You can use it whole backpacking/hiking, skiing, etc., too. :)

PLBs can be used on land or anywhere else, not just the ocean. You can use it whole backpacking/hiking, skiing, etc., too. :)
And it’s much much harder to get lost while hiking than diving in a rough ocean with strong currents.

Back
Top Bottom