biopak 45

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diceman

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm new here and just found this site. I think it has lots of useful info on scuba. I just got a Biopak 45 from a friend of mine and I'm wondering what are the specs on it. It's in perfect condition and we were trying to figure out what it's worth and when it was made. Thanks for the help.

Hello,

A Biopak 45 in good condition can be converted for Diving use, but it is really intended for terrestrial use.

As for the value, that depends on the condition and if you can find anyone looking for one that actually has money and is willing to be parted with it. The Biopak 60 is more desierable for diving conversion though.

Here is a link with the basics of converting a Biopak 45 into a diving rebreather. It's NOT for the faint of hear though and shouldn't be done unless you have some experience with rebreathers.

http://www.divenet.com/rebreather/bio45mods.htm

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by terrestrial use? I doubt I'd ever try to use it to go diving. Do you have any idea the original cost of it? It looks like it would be expensive.

Terrestrial ,,, ie best to stay no deeper than you can get back to surface on 1/2 breath.
They originally sold for I think $3500.
When Taylor Diving and Salvage went under in the early '90's ,,, I bought 6 of then for $25.
I think they were gonna use them for weld habitat bail out units kept on the habitat wall with AGA masks with nomex covered hoses.

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by terrestrial use? I doubt I'd ever try to use it to go diving. Do you have any idea the original cost of it? It looks like it would be expensive.
Do you need to exit from a smoke or H2S filled coal mine? That's the kind of thing they were designed for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom