Bio fin cracking.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I bought a pair of Bio Fins each used for my wife and I. New to scuba and not certified yet I had only used the fins in the pool sessions.

I went out to snorkel one time in 51F water for about a half an hour. When I returned to shore the fins are covered in cracks. Is this common? We have our open water test in a few weeks in the same cold water. Should I worry about my wife needing to buy a different fin for these conditions before her's are cracked? Is there a repair I can do to mine. Am I just out $75?

eddiesylas: The bio-fins are made from all natural rubber. Our warranty on new pairs is for one year. The cracking could be due to all kinds of things, extended exposure to the sun, not rinsing the fins with fresh water after use, storing in a garage with exposure to gas or exhaust fumes, etc. Properly maintained the bio-fins will last for many years.

If the cracks are more like creases on the surface of the fin you should be fine. It they have cracked and split you need new fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom