Bimini Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you considered a Blackbeards cruise? Their sailboats leave out of Miami and toot around Bimini for week-long trips. There are port calls in Alice Town, and they hit all the good diving spots. The company is very highly regarded by divers, and inexpensive to boot.

thanks, archman. hadn't really considered a cruise, but I'll check it out.

D.C.

archman:
Have you considered a Blackbeards cruise? Their sailboats leave out of Miami and toot around Bimini for week-long trips. There are port calls in Alice Town, and they hit all the good diving spots. The company is very highly regarded by divers, and inexpensive to boot.

thanks, doc. bimini undersea looks like the ticket. now, I just gotta get the time and the cash.

DC :crafty:

DocVikingo:
For land-based, hard to beat Bimini Undersea http://www.biminiundersea.com/ as a dive op.

For upscale accommodations, check out Bimini Big Game Club http://www.biminiundersea.com/

For more modest, Nowlda at Bimini Undersea can make suggestions.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

depthcharge65:
thanks, doc. bimini undersea looks like the ticket. now, I just gotta get the time and the cash.

DC :crafty:

Hey depthcharge65, I'm getting ready to book at Bimini undersea.
Did you ever make the trip? Any pointers?

RiverRat:
Hey depthcharge65, I'm getting ready to book at Bimini undersea.
Did you ever make the trip? Any pointers?

Went to Bimini in Nov. 2003. Stayed at Big Game Club. Accomodations were average dive trip accomodations (not the Marriott but it was clean & air-cond.) Flying in to Bimini is a blast since you have to take a sea plane & land & take off from the water. Dove with Bill & Nowlda's Bimini Undersea. Great dive op. Windy weather was an issue a couple of days. We had a day of diving cancelled due to wind. Couldn't go to some dive sites due to such poor vis. The diving we did do was great, however. They have a dolphin encounter but the weather prevented us from going to that site as well. Divemaster said the weather is more "reliable" & the seas much calmer in summer.

Saw lots of sharks on one dive (site was near shark research center). Bimini Barge is a pretty cool dive, it's near the continental shelf so you have the chance to see big stuff.

Not many restaurants were open last Nov. It's definitely their off season.

I would return to Bimini.

Oh yeah, diving in the Bahamas is far more seasonal than most Caribbean locales. If you want to get "anal" the Bahamas aren't even IN the Caribbean, but the west Atlantic.

I'd stay away from Bimini during the U.S. winter months. Go by the rule of thumb that whatever conditions you have there are near-identical to those in Miami. They're only like fifty miles apart.

archman:
Oh yeah, diving in the Bahamas is far more seasonal than most Caribbean locales. If you want to get "anal" the Bahamas aren't even IN the Caribbean, but the west Atlantic.

I'd stay away from Bimini during the U.S. winter months. Go by the rule of thumb that whatever conditions you have there are near-identical to those in Miami. They're only like fifty miles apart.

Just got back from my Bimini trip. Weather was as expected, a little windy at times. Lost one day due to wind. Other than that I can't complain, especially as I live in frigid CT. I was impressed with Melanie and Audly, the DM's at Biminiundersea, for getting us to some decent diving and being able to "forecast" the conditions. The vis was blown on a few dives but by and large they did a great job. We hit some strong current on a few dives as well, like the Bimini Barge. Water temps were still around 78-80 degrees. I only got chilled on one dive in my 3mm shorty. It was like "waves" of warm and cold. You could see the "thermoclines". Pretty "isolated" feeling place, Bimini. They run out of some food items from time to time, the phones crap out occasionally, my Seaplane broke down and I had to stay an extra night, etc. It's a mellow place to get away from it all for a bit. And I filled my memory cards with some great pics. Can't complain. Seems like Sept. may be a good time to beat the major busy season but it's still their "on" season. You would get better weather than Dec. in spite of a slight risk of hurricanes.

You have to check out the Compleat Angler bar. Great room dedicated to Earnest Hemingway and his BIG game fishing exploits. Wow! Oh, and I hooked the ring in only 7 tries! Hah! Easy money!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom