Bimini for newbies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowprintrabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My husband and I just got invited to join one of his friend's trips to Bimini. Not everyone will be diving. My question is, at around 20 dives each, should we even consider going? Our friend is a DM, and has his own boat, so we would not be going with a dive op.

Also, what is Bimini like? Do we have any SB'ers there?

Diving around Bimini is often shallow and absolutely suited for beginners. there can be currents so make sure your DM is aware of those before you jump in, but I'd say it's very sell-suited for new divers and experienced alike. :)
Bimini is a very sleepy little island with a couple of bars and restaurants. There are a few shops. Not terribly touristy, mostly just people living their lives. We took the school boat to the other end of the island on the way out. that was cool.
You should not miss Hemingway's and the End of the World. :)

We went to a restaurant right next to the "airport" that had theee best cracked conch I have ever had. The place was empty except for us, and the cook was thrilled to have us there.
I loved Bimini.

Bimini is a great island. But it's a small island with laid back island life. Just FYI so you don't expect the 'hub-bub' of Nassau or Miami.

The diving there is great. Most of the diving is done via private-boats that people come over from Florida which is only about 50-60 miles away. They dive from their own boats typically or from a liveaboard or private charter.. this is the best way to go since the dive op's in Bimini are overpriced... But there are a dive shops on both North Bimini and South Bimini.

This is a great place for both beginners and advanced divers. Plenty of shallow reefs to dive for beginners. Wall and deep dives for the advanced crowd.

Check out the Atlantis road, which is shallow and can even be snorkled. It's a "road" to the lost colony of Atlantis according to legend. Very interesting.

For lots of dive sites, look for mooring balls (typically white) that Blackbeards has installed at the "good" dive sites. Moor to it which is safer for the reef than anchoring. The only "rule" for the mooring balls it that the commerical Dive boats have first right to use them but there is usually never a problem as there are more moorings than boats so plenty to go around.

Night life is lots of fun, but small in it's own way. If there is a fishing tournament that weekend then it gets more fun. The "big bars" are the Complete Angler and "end of the world bar". Both are a "must visit". Easy to get around and you walk everywhere. (it's a small island).

So the answer is definately go. You won't be disappinted!

Hope that helps some. email/PM if you have more questions.

Its the only place I have dived outside of Florida. If you want a nightlife, or a Club Med type place, do NOT go to Bimini. The place we stayed (ok, this was quite a while ago) only had a TV in the restaurant/bar. Nice.
The diving was awesome and we had a really good time. Good value for your money.

cowprintrabbit:
Our friend is a DM, and has his own boat...
Its good you recognize your limits and are exploring before you go. That's a good sign!

There's a saying about Abaco, another island group in the Bahamas, that is isn't for sissies. I've always thought that applies to Bimini as well. But I really enjoy Bimini. Its water is beautiful, and the folks there are nice. But it does not have the type of infrastructure most visitors expect, and it can surprise you if you aren't ready for it. For example, you might find yourself brushing your teeth in brackish water; many roads aren't paved, etcetcetc.

But the diving is fantastic. If your DM friend is worth his or her salt as a DM, and if you pay attention to your skills and dive plans, you'll very much enjoy the dives and learn a bunch while you're there. But remember you are a long way from help, so pay attention to currents, depth, and your ascent rates. And talk to friend/DM about the need for you all to do a couple of warm up dives once you get there. Too often, the more experienced folks hit the islands and immediately want to go do the deep walls. That's not where you should start in Bimini.

You'll find some fantastic simple and shallower sites. The fish life is awesome, and turtles are common. You'll also see grouper that are fairly tame and will explore you. There are sharks, but they tend to be shy unless someone in the group is hunting.

Be aware that the visibility is usually very good, and that because of this, the depths can be deceiving. You might think you're exploring along a wall at 40 feet, only to have dropped down to 75' or more. Pay close attention to your depth and air when you are on the drop-offs.

I'm attaching a link with a write up I did for the South Bimini Yacht Club a few years ago. I just noticed that its still posted on their site. Had a nice trip with a dive club there, and you might see that I enjoyed the trip. http://www.scubabimini.com/scuba.htm

Go. Enjoy. Then come back and write a trip report for us so we can dream that we were there too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom