Bikini Atoll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
I would just prefer to to deco on 100% O2 but that's my own personal preferance. To each his own...:)
Yes but you didn't say that you said they must be nuts. That is hardly a to each his own kind of statement.
The reality is that Bikini used a de-nitrogenation system for making enriched air and it is very difficult to get really high O2 percentages.

Miami_Diver:
I recently read an article on Bikini , they are booked for this year and almost full for next year. the demand to dive there has increase dramatically in the last couple of years, since they started dive operations just a few years ago . every wreck is at least 125ft deep, so deco is a must on all dives. too far from Florida to plan a dive only trip. there is nothing else to do there but dive.

http://www.divernet.com/xtra/xtraoffers.shtml

16-23 August - Bikini Atoll

*LAST 3 SPACES* - £1411 per person (excludes flights)

http://www.divequest.co.uk/frameset.cfm?wpacific=0

Fireman Ken:
You do need, however, to have some form of certification in decompression procedures to be able to safely make the dives.

No you don't. You only need a basic certification. You do need to demonstrate on the 1st dive that you can complete their minimum deco procedure. 2@80, 2@40, 2@30, and 5@20 and 10@10 The 30, 20 and 10 stops using 74%.

I am set to go out there this August through my dive shop. The price I am paying includes airfares, hotel and food. I am flying from the DC area so we will be going through Honolulu and then on to Marjaru (sp) and then to Bikini. I have asked many questions regarding radiation and food safety. All food is flown in. Radiation is not much of a threat...they tell me you get more background radiation living in parts of the US. The Bikini operation has been up and running for dive tourism since 1996. They say that eating anything grown on the islands could be problematic over a length of time.

purcellj:
No you don't. You only need a basic certification. You do need to demonstrate on the 1st dive that you can complete their minimum deco procedure. 2@80, 2@40, 2@30, and 5@20 and 10@10 The 30, 20 and 10 stops using 74%.
I will agree to disagree.

FYI, that was just my personal opinion not policy.

oceancrest67:
I am set to go out there this August through my dive shop. The price I am paying includes airfares, hotel and food. I am flying from the DC area so we will be going through Honolulu and then on to Marjaru (sp) and then to Bikini. I have asked many questions regarding radiation and food safety. All food is flown in. Radiation is not much of a threat...they tell me you get more background radiation living in parts of the US. The Bikini operation has been up and running for dive tourism since 1996. They say that eating anything grown on the islands could be problematic over a length of time.
We are on the same trip my friend. I hear that we will get more of a radiation dose on the flight over than during our week's stay at Bikini.

BTW, are you still measuring water depth with milk jugs? LOL.

Ken

Fireman Ken:
I will agree to disagree.

FYI, that was just my personal opinion not policy.

I'm not sure how your original statement could be considered anything other than stating policy. After seeing the operation, you might even change your personal opinion.

Thanks for clarifying.

From the Bikini dive web page
SAMPLE BIKINI WRECK DIVE PROFILES

For the Bikini WRECK dive program a diver should be at least a PADI Advanced Diver and be very comfortable with his/her dive equipment while underwater. Read the Letter from the Head Divemaster for further information about this dive program.

Listed below is a typical week's schedule of decompression dives, though it can vary from week to week depending on what the customers want to see. The first dive is usually done at 9:00 a.m., the second at 3:00 p.m.

No need for opinion when facts are available

Fireman Ken:
We are on the same trip my friend. I hear that we will get more of a radiation dose on the flight over than during our week's stay at Bikini.

BTW, are you still measuring water depth with milk jugs? LOL.

Ken

Yes Ken...we are on the same trip...good to hear from you.

Back
Top Bottom