Big trip to SE Asia, bring service kits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jungho Kim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are going to a 4 month trip through SE Asia this Sept (Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines). We will be diving much of the time, both liveaboard and land-based, so basically a lot of diving. We will be bringing her S600/MK25 and my G260/MK17. A bit concerned about one of these failing during the trip. The question I have is the serviceability of these regs in SE Asia. Should I bring service kits with me? I know the difference between diaphragm and piston regs, balanced/unbalanced, know what IP means, what purpose a HP seat serves, etc but I am no reg tech.

Service kits are not a bad idea. If you can actually get them for your regs. SP technically does not allow sales to individuals, only dive shops. Even trained techs are not supposed to be able to get them if not working for a shop.

That said, they are out there. Just don't publicly name the shop that sold them to you. SP is a worldwide brand. Many shops around the world sell and service them. Whether they do it right is another matter. On a liveaboard there is a good chance that no one will be able to service your reg with or without the kits.

Having the kits with you on a land based dive set up you have a better chance of getting them serviced should the shop be out of that particular kit. Note however that if the shop tech is not actually factory trained by SP your warranty is likely to be worthless now. If they screw something up you have zero recourse.

A better idea is to get a new 1st stage. Any brand. Doesn't matter. Take it as a spare. Take a spare second stage, again any brand. Something goes wrong you just do some hose swapping and your back in business. When you get home you'll have a reg set ready for a pony or stage bottle. Or sell.

I could make you a great deal right now on a HOG D3 with a Zenith Second complete with a std length hose. :wink: And there would be no problem to sell you a kit for each since HOG allows dealers to do that!

I would bring a spare first and second stage and not worry. That is our usual plan for big trips otherwise if you need to travel light I would do a few dives before hand and make the regs are all functioning properly.

That said, having extra mask - fin straps are high on my list as well.

I would bring a spare first and second stage and not worry. That is our usual plan for big trips otherwise if you need to travel light I would do a few dives before hand and make the regs are all functioning properly.

That said, having extra mask - fin straps are high on my list as well.

Yes that is what I'll do. Will get everything serviced, hoses checked, and tuned prior to the trip. We always carry extra masks on our trips but will also get extra fin straps. Will also get bring a bag with christo-lube, o-rings, IP gauge etc. I will assume the boat/resorts will have all the necessary tools. Don't want to lug around more than I need.

It's a good idea to bring a spare 1st and 2nd stage. It would also be a good idea to bring a few o-rings that fit the SP superflow hoses at the 2nd stage end. Those are not standard size. (They're metric) I suspect a SP dealer might give you a couple if you explain the situation. For things like tank o-rings and port plugs, any respectable liveaboard has got to have a supply.

I don't think it's a great idea to get your regs serviced immediately before going on the trip. Checked and tuned, sure, but immediately after full service is a prime time for regulator problems. If they're really due for service, I guess your should do it, but if it were me, I would absolutely go on a test dive or two post service but pre-trip. If that's not possible and your regs are working well as is, (meaning they pass a quick inspection) don't service them.

If you can't service your regs on your own, there is no point in bringing the parts imho. If the shop is authorized to actually service them, then they will have parts in stock.
What was said above is the better solution, at least bring an extra first stage. This is why I recommend new divers to buy a doubles setup instead of singles setup because the extra first stage doesn't usually cost all that much, and an extra first stage and an adjustable wrench will have you set up in less than 5 minutes on the boat with no lost dives.

I prefer having similar first stages because everything will play nice with hose routing, but isn't always required.
Cave Adventurers - HOG BP2 Piston 1st Stage - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
Call them and see if they'd sell you two of those at a good price. I know they're motivated to get rid of them, you can learn how to service them yourself through the Hog class and they will route the same as your MK25.
Hog D1 Regulator Set
alternatively, that's not a bad deal at $250. Same hose routing as the MK25, but in a sealed diaphragm

I carry my pony regs as a spare on dive trips I have had to steal a second stage and hose from it to put them on my sisters regs about 10 minutes and a quick adjustment to match the IP her first stage was putting out and she was good to go.

Great advice so far.

My opinion is that if you are taking a big dive trip, why not assemble a complete spare reg set? I know it may sound extravagant, but if you consider it may prevent missing a dive (or entire DAY of diving), it may be worthwhile. While you can fairly quickly swap out a "problem child" 1st or 2nd stage, you might still miss a dive or inconvenience other divers by making them wait while you fuss with your gear... a backup regulator set instantly fixes any problem, including a leaking spg (a somewhat common problem) or hose...

Just a thought.

I take a spare regulator set even on local shore dives, and have loaned it to other divers on occasions. I service my own regs, so it is rare that MY regulator acts up... knock on wood :wink:

Best wishes.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom