Big Guy small mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snarbles

New
Reaction score
Hello all and currently taking my Padi Open water dive training, even during shark week!
I'm very new to scuba and have only snorkeled a few times in the Virgin Islands.

I'm a rather big guy @6ft 235lb and was working with a local dive shop (Maximum Scuba) to find a well fitting mask.
The shop owner was great and very helpful.

I started with the ScubaPro Trufit and was shocked when it leaked while "sucking in"
The shop owner then moved me to a ScubaPro "mini" and it fit much better!
Tried on several more and the one that "felt right" was a Cressi Eye Evolution (not the Big Eye).

I know fit it what is important, I'm just shocked that a smaller mask would be the one that fit better and was wondering how many other "big men" ended up with small size masks. The shop owner who was quite tall also said he wore a small mask too!

I still did not purchase the Cressi Eye Evolution (yet) because I want to make sure I'm buying the right mask and it does not have issues down the road for being in the "small" category.

Thanks everyone for your insight. I'm an avid gear head in all my other hobbies so bare with me as I learn a new one.....SCUBA!

Dave

One of the driving forces for the scuba diving industry (including many of my dive buddies) is the gear. Tech divers seem especially prone to falling victim to this. While I've never really understood this mindset and instead have lots of stuff I'm dying to get rid of, you are certainly among friends. Welcome.

Its not the size of the mask, it is the fit that counts. If you are worried about the look, just remember, scuba gear makes you look ridiculous anyway. I, too, struggle with a strangely shaped face. I've tried dozens of masks with no luck on getting a really good seal. My first few years diving I just assumed that a little water leak was something I'd have to live with. Then I tried a cheapo, little-known local company named "Hammerhead" and the mask fit perfectly. I have no idea what I'm going to do if they ever go out of business. If you can see outside without constantly having to clear water, what is your holdup?

Trying not to acquire to many of the "big ticket" items (yet) and am planning to rent most of my gear for awhile.

Pretty much looking into mask, snorkel, and fins.

With the mask it is the face shape, some people have larger faces and smaller ones. Don't worry about if it is a big mask or small mask, if it fits then its the right one for you. That is the most important thing.

---------- Post Merged at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:09 PM ----------

Have fun with your class

FWIW... I have a big head (ahem) and have gone through racks of masks looking for good fit/seal. It can be a bit discouraging at times...in extreme cases my eyebrows end up going through the seal area on top while my nose is pressed against the bottom of the nose pocket unless I scrunch my face down.

The best fits I have experienced were with a TUSA Visualator (absurdly high volume), and on the other end with a low volume HOG "technical" mask. OTOH several other low volume masks were hopeless. This is an area where the specific model counts more than the brand... there are other masks from both TUSA and HOG I couldn't get to seal to save a life. Another OK fit was the TUSA Tri-Ex. I've tried every mask on display in several stores, plus made people grab masks that weren't on display, and those were my personal best fits. I suspect you'll have to do something similar. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom