Big fish in Mozambique and South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juho

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning to go to RSA (and Mozambique, if necessary) November this year and I'd be really interested in hearing from people with experience in shark diving around there. I have a total of 17 days for the trip. A couple of questions:

1. Which operator would you recommend for a comprehensive "shark dive" package including at least:
- shark feed
- cage diving with great whites
- manta / whale shark / other big sharks "guaranteed"

2. Which specific dive sites and areas should I visit?

3. Any other high adrenaline activities that can easily be combined with the scuba diving?

4. Anybody else without a diving buddy heading that way around the same time?

5. How's the season at that time - what should I expect to see and go specifically after?

Hi

You will probably not get everything you want in one place, here are some suggestions:

Shark feed - Either Aliwal Shoal or the Protea Banks near Durban - try http://www.bluewilderness.co.za/ check out the calendar as to when you can expect to see different species of sharks. Or try this http://www.oceansafrica.com/sharkdivingsouthafricatours.htm . Maybe they can organize the whole thing for you.

Cage diving with GW - definitely Gansbaai near Cape Town - no operator reccomendations, they all offer the same thing.

Manta / Whalesharks - without a doubt Tofo, Mozambique - dive with http://www.tofoscuba.co.za/ any time of year. Can't guarantee other sharks though.

Shout if I can give any more help.

If you're still in Sudan when spring comes - you will have very good shark action. Perhaps no whalesharks, but a bunch of other spieces like hammerheads, silkies, grey reefs... Some operators do baiting on Sha'ab Rumi. Mantas will be plenty in Mesharifa from about now and a month ahead.
About RSA, not sure november will be the best for white sharks in Gansbai. I was once in november and we had none - was told it was not season. Be prepared to spend several days.
Agree with Andy on Tofo for whalesharks and mantas. November is good.

/christian

As usual :D Christian is right. November is not shark month over here - check the calendar on Blue Wilderness website. I assumed you were coming in November regardless, maybe pick somewhere in the middle of the shark season as shown on the calendar. Nov seems to be either at the beginning or the end of season for various species.

Unfortunately can't change my schedule but I already have the Cape Town / Gaansbai and Tofo parts figured out. Still sorting out alternatives around Durban, namely Protea Banks and Aliwal Shoal.

Would you think that it's good to arrange accommodation and diving separately? I'm looking really cheap backpacker accommodation (large dorm bed just fine) but for the diving I'm ready to pay a lot to get most exciting shark encounters and to maximize my chances to see "all" (of the sharks, don't care about much else around there).

Regarding the time (approximately Nov 13th to 16th) do you think it's necessary to book the diving in advance? I was thinking if I just arrange airport transportation and the accommodation at some place and sort out the diving for the next and following days when I get there.

Thanks for the tips so far, I wish I had more time for RSA and Mozambique!

Exciting diving: Allthough I have no personal experience of it, I know that one or two operators in Kwazulu Natal (sp?) do baited drift dives in the blue, which attract rather spectacular gatherings of big sharks (tiger sharks). A fellow swedish diver who went this spring said on another forum that it was v e r y exciting and absolutely n o t to be reccomended unless you already have quite some shark diving experience. I have seen the pictures and by the look of them I certainly agree. Very big sharks, very close. He was convinced that at least on a two occations, they were very near getting bitten. However I'm uncertain about the season for this, perhaps more april-may.
There might still be some raggies (ragged tooth sand tiger) on Alliwal Shoal? And there might be some bull sharks on Protea banks or Alliwal.

BTW, Where in Sudan are you? Have you tried the diving?

/christian

If you are going to the Durban area it will probably be better to stay at Umkomaas near Aliwal Shoal - you will get better diving there as opposed to the Protea Banks. You will probably be able to arrange diving when you get there as it will be mid-week.

BTW, Where in Sudan are you? Have you tried the diving?
/christian

Working in Khartoum and Darfur at least until the end of the year. At the end of May I went diving out of Port Sudan for a week in a liveaboard. Pretty good diving, some pics from that trip here.

Working in Khartoum and Darfur at least until the end of the year. At the end of May I went diving out of Port Sudan for a week in a liveaboard. Pretty good diving, some pics from that trip here.

It is fantastic diving. When the south point on Sha'ab Rumi is 'on', there aren't many places in the world inmo that tops it. If you are still around next year, I'd suggest a trip in march/april.

/christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom