Big Blue FL-107 battery question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctock993

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just picked up a Big Blue FL-107 as a back-up/ pocket light.
However, the instructions indicate NOT to use Ni-MH batteries and to use "alkaline"

Of course, my charger only works with Ni-MH and Ni-Cd batteries...

I've tried contacting Big Bue in FL, but they never return my messages - so what do I do now?
Bring wasteful throw-away alkaline AAA?
Use Ni-MH and potentially damage the light?

Go ahead and use the NiMh. It's most likely a nano light made in China and rebranded. I have the nano spot, and focus lights. I run with either alkaline or NiMh.
Be aware you should NOT run NiMh dead, and if it floods they go more crazy than alkaline-but that's true for any NiMh application. They also lose 10% of their charge in the first 24 hours and then ~ 1%/day, depending on the quality of the batteries. So if you plan to use it as a BU light it could be dead in a couple months even with out use. It's hard to get good quality AAA. I suggest Sanyo Eneloop LSD cells. They hold their charge.

Quick update - Talked to a very nice person at Big Blue in FL.
I completely forgot that it was DEMA last week - hence the lack of response.

The short of it is, as of now, just use alkaline batteries.
They are checking with the "tech folk" to see if Ni-MH will be ok as well.
He did stress the following point: Do NOT use Lithium batteries!

We have an answer!
I have received feedback from my engineers that due to the voltage being lower with NiMH it should be no problem to substitute NiMH for Alkaline.

Generally speaking the light output (brightness) will be a little less but the battery life will be more steady.

Use of NiMH will not hurt the light.

Thanks for being a Bigblue customer and enjoy your light!

Best Regards,

Tim Ratcliffe
Peter Parts Electronics
Phone: 585-749-3000
Email: timr@peterparts.com
Website: Electronic Parts, Components, Contract Manufacturing - Peter Parts Electronics
Video Presentation: E-Video Presentation About Peter Parts Electronics. Components, Sight Products, Sound Products, Power Products, Contract Manufacturing - It's All Here!
Latest Newsletter: Company Newsletter - 'The Source' - Peter Parts Electronics

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom