Big Animal Encounters...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donsilcock

Contributor
Reaction score
About 5 years ago I went on my first "big animal" trip and got well and truly hooked.... I ended up working my way through an ever evolving bucket list. The thing is that conversation with other people on the specific trip (usually over an adult beverage or two) almost always turns to where else have you been? So the list never seems to get much shorter!

I got a great deal from doing the trips - personally in that I gained a much better understanding of the creatures themselves and the ocean itself. Plus it really helped me move my underwater photography forward.

Everything I had planned for 2020 went out the window with the pandemic, but I hope to do a number of trips next year and have paid my deposits to get on the ones I really wanted to do.

I try to document all the trips on my website and have written numerous articles on the experiences - which is basically all a labor of love as there is no money to be made with that. I realized recently that all the big animal pages are in different places and a bit hard to find...

So I have compiled my favorite trips (Great Whites, Tiger Beach, Bimini hammerheads, Cat Island Oceanics, Tonga humpbacks, Azores sperm whales, Isla Mujeres and Mozambique whale sharks, Socorro giant mantas, PNG reef mantas, Florida manatees, Australian giant cuttlefish and Chinchorro crocodiles) on to a single page, with links to the detailed sections.

Here is the link: Big Animal Encounters

Tonga_2018_Sep_Ha'apai_D07_1282_nik2_crop_logo_1600.jpg

Thanks for sharing your incredible photos & experiences. I especially enjoyed the whale sharks.

Thanks for the info as I am currently researching best destination for Mantas

Best equals easiest diving conditions and best opportunity to see Mantas

When i looked at PNG there a lot of travel warnings, not covid but other issues.

Kona seems like the first choice however I understand they have the smaller Mantas

Did you have any concerns traveling/visiting PNG?

@Murphy in NC If you want to dive with mantas, the Revillagigedos Islands are one of the best manta diving destinations in the world. It's not easy to get to, but if you're coming from NC, it would be easier than PNG. And Mexico is open to Americans.

Thanks for the info as I am currently researching best destination for Mantas

Best equals easiest diving conditions and best opportunity to see Mantas

When i looked at PNG there a lot of travel warnings, not covid but other issues.

Kona seems like the first choice however I understand they have the smaller Mantas

Did you have any concerns traveling/visiting PNG?

Hi Murphy, sorry for the slow response - was away on a dive trip!

The mantas in Milne Bay are the smaller reef mantas, not the giant oceanics. PNG is basically closed right now, so it will probably be mid next year before it is possible to get there and the only way is by boat from Alotau.

Milne Bay Manta Rays - Giants@Home | Indopacificimages

With regards to travelling to PNG and safety when there - yes... there are issues, but they are manageable in my opinion. I have personally been there 24 times in the last 20 years and never had a real problem. Check this out for more info:

Is It Safe To Go To PNG - An Opinion | Indopacificimages

Hope this helps, Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom