BHB collection/protection discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I said "a little"...:)

With that being said, I think most of those folks don't do those things on purpose or with the intent to detroy or maim. I still think there is a HUGE difference to what Dumpster and his ilk are doing.

I said "a little"...:)

With that being said, I think most of those folks don't do those things on purpose or with the intent to detroy or maim. I still think there is a HUGE difference to what Dumpster and his ilk are doing.

You attitude is pretty ridiculous. Recreational collection of aquarium species is an ethical and legal dive activity. It is not intended to harm the environment.

Of course there ARE impacts associated with the collection activity, but I would be willing to bet that the gasoline burned in the car on the way to the dive site is more detrimental to the environment than a few missing arrow crabs....

Have you ever cut open a fish gut and seen how many arrow crabs a small grouper might consume in a short period of time?

BTW: Do we have anything to contradict the written correspondence that I have solicted from the appropriate regulatory staff. Does ANYONE have ANYTHING which contradicts my contention that I can legally knife food fish there AND collect tropicals?

You attitude is pretty ridiculous. Recreational collection of aquarium species is an ethical and legal dive activity. It is not intended to harm the environment.

Of course there ARE impacts associated with the collection activity, but I would be willing to bet that the gasoline burned in the car on the way to the dive site is.....<snip wasted breath> [/SIZE][/B]

Reminds me of what all the old time fisherman used to say back in the 70's...."that the Ocean was an inexhaustible source of food, and their god given right to fish it"....
The problem was in having far too many fisherman ( or collectors) with this attitude. One Dumpster Diver by himself or a few buddies would have no impact....but bring in dozens of "wannabe Dumpster Divers" ( the horror :D ), and the bio mass depletion becomes shocking.

I was diving in the 70's...I wish you guys could have seen how much more life there used to be..... Go to a reef like the 60 Foot Breakers Reef, see the big schools of grunts on the bottom now....in the 70's, there were schools of grouper bigger than the schools of grunts now.....the reefs everywhere transformed, from too much "taking"....

This is not about present laws ....this is about the common sense of resources, and how easily they can be abused and destroyed.

You don't get it, you're never going to get it.

Ok, I'm done with beating my head against a wall here.

Good luck to the rest of you.

I hope I don't see anyone out "Collecting" when I get there in August, might have to make it really hard for them to do so. :D

Well I drove by there on Sunday around 11 am (just before high tide) on a boat. It was absolutely ridiculous.

I watched as a cop pulled a dive flag up and out from the channel under the bridge. There were easily 2 dozen dive flags in the water and there were many more people on shore clutching flags preparing to enter the water. I would guess that there may well have been over 100 scuba divers in that small area on Sunday. The impacts from all these silt kicking scuba clowns is surely more destructive than me taking a few creatures.

I've never seen it anywhere near this crowded. I think SB has finally destroyed the place.

[/SIZE][/B]
This is getting funny. Like, someone had ever harmed the environment intentionally.

Well I drove by there on Sunday around 11 am (just before high tide) on a boat. It was absolutely ridiculous.

I watched as a cop pulled a dive flag up and out from the channel under the bridge. There were easily 2 dozen dive flags in the water and there were many more people on shore clutching flags preparing to enter the water. I would guess that there may well have been over 100 scuba divers in that small area on Sunday. The impacts from all these silt kicking scuba clowns is surely more destructive than me taking a few creatures.

I've never seen it anywhere near this crowded. I think SB has finally destroyed the place.

Come on DD. I was going to make a positive reply to one of your other other posts so you would know I'm an open minded man. But this... is such a troll. I'm with Doug.

Shame on you. (Bull**** post.)

Come on DD. I was going to make a positive reply to one of your other other posts so you would know I'm an open minded man. But this... is such a troll. I'm with Doug.

Shame on you. (Bull**** post.)
Me too ! :D
I even stuck up for him when some of the photographers were saying DD should not be allowed to dive in a sewer...and of course I said that he should be :D

On a more serious note....we have a handful of Frogfish, which are a huge treat for divers to see at BHB. With the DD concept of "legal and justified" collection, what would prevent a dozen collectors showing up in the next couple of weeks, and "collecting" these frog fish...Leaving none left for all of the rest of us to see?
In DD thinking as he has explained it so far, if it is legal, it is FINE to do it.

I want to "see" one of these frogfish. Where was it exactly?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom