Question Beuchat VS2 1st stage Repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg Sher

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Good evening from Tennessee, USA.
I am an old scuba diver that should know the answer to my own question, but..
What needs to be repaired in the first stage to prevent air from bubbling out of the first stage at the holes I am pointing in the photo? I am so fortunate as to have three of these and they all leak/bubble air out of these holes in the first stage.
Thanks in advance for your help!!
Also, I have searched high and low in the states and have not been able to find parts for these older Beuchat first and second stages...
IMG_7108.jpg

Hi @Greg Sher ,

Welcome to Scuba Board. I do not know the answer to your question, but could I suggest having this thread moved either to the Regulator forum Regulators
or the Do it Yourself forum Do It Yourself - DIY

The "Site Support" forum is for dealing with issues on Scuba Board.

Cheers,

couv

I can't find anything related to Beuchat prior to 1999. Attached below is a Beuchat manual that has schematics and overhaul instructions but they are in French. If you need help translating beyond google translate then send me a DM as French is my 2nd language.

Unfortunately I don't see anything in the manual that looks anything like the 1st stage you have.

From what I can tell looking at the manual, the VS2 is the designation for a discontinued Beuchat 1st and 2nd stage combo where the 2nd stage is designated VS2 and the 1st stage is designated V2.

The design of your 1st stage is reminiscent of but not exactly like the Scubapro MK5 with SPEC cap.

Could you please indicate if your 1st stage is bubbling constantly or just when initially submerged? If only when initially submerged then it is residual air around the spring in the piston cavity of the regulator body, and nothing is wrong.

I can only imagine a piece of rubber trim fitting in the recess you indicate, but that will not stop your reg from bubbling if there is a leak, or if it was designed to bubble like Sherwood's dry air bleed system.

Hope that helps a bit.

-Z

Attachments

• technique-book-beuchat.pdf
    17.4 MB · Views: 160
I can't find anything related to Beuchat prior to 1999. Attached below is a Beuchat manual that has schematics and overhaul instructions but they are in French. If you need help translating beyond google translate then send me a DM as French is my 2nd language.

Unfortunately I don't see anything in the manual that looks anything like the 1st stage you have.

From what I can tell looking at the manual, the VS2 is the designation for a discontinued Beuchat 1st and 2nd stage combo where the 2nd stage is designated VS2 and the 1st stage is designated V2.

The design of your 1st stage is reminiscent of but not exactly like the Scubapro MK5 with SPEC cap.

Could you please indicate if your 1st stage is bubbling constantly or just when initially submerged? If only when initially submerged then it is residual air around the spring in the piston cavity of the regulator body, and nothing is wrong.

I can only imagine a piece of rubber trim fitting in the recess you indicate, but that will not stop your reg from bubbling if there is a leak, or if it was designed to bubble like Sherwood's dry air bleed system.

Hope that helps a bit.

-Z
Thanks for the technique book! I am downloading it as I reply. You are correct, these are pre 1999 regulators. My best guess is they are about 1992. I am blessed to have the schematics for these, which I have attached below.
The first stages, all three, bubble constantly.
As written in the post above, "Replace your small piston O-ring" would seem to make sense. I will give that a try. I am grateful for all of your inputs. As far as finding parts for these old relics, does anyone know of a place where they can be obtained?
Happy Diving to ALL!

Attachments

• Beuchat Scuba VS2 Schematic & Manual.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 121
Looking at the diagram, I agree with @Zef & @happy-diver. Replace all of the o-rings, and most definitely items 14 & 18 which are the piston stem and head o-rings. You might even get away without replacing the seat.

A quick study of the schematics you provided indicate that the part you want for the area that is leaking is a silicone cover that goes over the body of the regulator. This won't solve your bubbling problem was most likely aesthetic and to prevent minor bumps, dings, and scratches to the 1st stage body. The likelihood of finding this part is miniscule.

All the o-ring measurements are listed on the schematics....you should look at replacing, at a minimum, o-ring part # 14 (6.07 x 1.78) (O-ring seal OR-6.07X1.78-NBR90 - 6.07x9.63x1.78 mm | 123Bearing - 123Bearing | 123Bearing.com, the reference for your bearings, belts and seals), and o-ring part #22 (9.25 x 1.78) (Beuchat O-rings NBR 90Sh-part no:7025 Premium O-rings Provider).

I know the owner of a shop in Belgium who was carrying Beachat equipment up until about a year or so ago. Your regs predate his shop by quite a few years so he would not have the silicone cap but he may be able to obtain service kits or the metric o-rings:

The owner's name is Phillipe.

+32 476-65-9993
info@odyssee-plongee.be

I wish you luck in getting the parts you need to get your 3 1st stages back up and running.

-Z

I have and use a couple of these.
Has an interesting adjustable IP feature using a cup and three pins.

As pointed out already, replace all the orings, as in service it/them. I have never found kits for these, but have made my own by a selection of orings I already have. You can convert the metric specs in the Beuchat document to get nominal size. IIRC, all but one is an actual metric oring.

You might even get away without replacing the seat.
And if you do this^^^ Do not remove the seat from the carrier. Just give it and the piston knife edge a good cleaning and look for any imperfections.

I bought, a few weeks ago, a service kit for an old Beuchat V8 in Baja Diving & Watersports in San Diego (Water Sports Equipment, San Diego, CA). They use to have Beuchat kits. You could ask them.
Anyway, looking to the form of that first stage, it's surely a balanced piston reg. If there is a constant stream of bubbles coming out of those holes, the piston and/or piston stem o-ring should be replaced. It should be a standard size o-ring duro 70. Also a good cleaning of the piston and piston wall, taking good care to remove dirt and do not scratch the piston wall.

Back
Top Bottom