Beta Blockers (? for Dr D)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gxdoyle

Reaction score
Is there any research that looks at the effects of beta blockers while deep / mixed gas diving.

I would have thought that beta blockers would be useful for diving by reducing the effects of pre-dive stress and perhaps increasing breathing effectiveness ( by reducing rapid breathing).

Do they increase the risk of DCS or O2 toxicity?

Thanks

I'm an instructor and have been on Beta Blockers for over 10 years...not bragging but I can last on 80ft3 tank for up to 3 hours in shallow water. Another point of interest...At NASA I have worked with crews returnining from space especially after long missions...Flight surgeons have been experimenting with presribing this type of medication for crews to allow them to adapt more quickly to gravity with less side effects.

Dear gxdoyle:

Beta Blockers

Depth and frequency of ventilation (breathing) do not influence the inert gas loads in your body. That is a function of regional perfusion and is governed by many factors, the main one is muscle contraction. Thus reducing breathing rate by their use is dubious. Stress is best relieved by training and experience. As with most things in life, drugs and medications are not the first place to look.:doctor:

I am not aware of any test program looking at these medications. Be aware that they do limit maximum heart rate, and this could be a problem in some situations calling for maximum physical output.:boom:

Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom