Best wreck dives in Pompano (40 to 80ft)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Catito

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can you post your favorite wreck dives in Pompano? I am AOW but really prefer above 80ft. Prefer, too, anchor down and up (vs drift) but not sure that is possible in Pompano.

Thank you in advance.

Captain Dan....although I haven't been there for 12 years. It might be smushed.

The Captain Dan has a big hole in the hull that makes a great swim through. Otherwise, the wreck is pretty much intact. It's a great dive, but 110' to the sand. On the shallower side, the Ancient Mariner/Berry Patch is one of my favorites. These wrecks have been down a while are really covered in pretty growth. In good conditions you can swim between these wrecks. Another favorite is the Tracey. On this one, it's also possible to hit other wrecks next to it. On the Tracey you can work your way through the inside of the wreck pretty much bow to stern, so that's kind of cool. The Okinawa is also a nice dive, but it's a newer wreck and not as covered with marine growth. A lot of people seem to like the Sea Emperor, but I find it to be a little boring. It's an upside down barge with concrete culverts next to it. All theses wrecks are sitting at about 70ish feet to the sand.

The Captain Dan has a big hole in the hull that makes a great swim through. Otherwise, the wreck is pretty much intact. It's a great dive, but 110' to the sand. On the shallower side, the Ancient Mariner/Berry Patch is one of my favorites. These wrecks have been down a while are really covered in pretty growth. In good conditions you can swim between these wrecks. Another favorite is the Tracey. On this one, it's also possible to hit other wrecks next to it. On the Tracey you can work your way through the inside of the wreck pretty much bow to stern, so that's kind of cool. The Okinawa is also a nice dive, but it's a newer wreck and not as covered with marine growth. A lot of people seem to like the Sea Emperor, but I find it to be a little boring. It's an upside down barge with concrete culverts next to it. All theses wrecks are sitting at about 70ish feet to the sand.

Thanks. Recommendations on dive operations in Pompano?

My favorite wrecks in Pompano are substantially deeper. The Lady Luck is an awesome dive. It's huge. The wreck itself is interesting and always has lots of life on it. It's deep for recreational divers though. It's 110' to the deck (where most of the interesting stuff is) and 136' to the sand at the props. My other favorite is the Hydro Atlantic, but it's tech dive at 172' to the sand.

@Catito, now that PDC is gone, I would probably use ScubaTyme charters, they run a good operation. There is another operator, MissConduct charters. The nice thing about them is they run a small boat and will take only two divers. My buddy and I've been out with them as the only two divers on the boat. They don't have a DM and don't tie into the wrecks, so you're kind of on your own though.

Oh wait, the shallower Tenneco Tower was one my favorite dives. With three main levels, you can dive it @ 60', 80', or 100'(bottom). Its just down the road from Pompano.

Sorry, I realize that my previous post might have been confusing. Missconduct is a 6-pack boat, but they'll run with only two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom