Best/Worst time of year in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richhagelin

Contributor
Reaction score
What are the opinions of those of you who have dived Coz over the years. What is the best time of year? What is the worst time of year?

Thanks,

Rich

IMNSHO, a really good time to go is in May. It's after the high season, but before the rainy season, and it's cooler than in June or July. May is also the month when the fishing is at its best, which is another expensive hobby I have.

I leave two weeks from tomorrow.

We have been twice in late September/early October.
Both times we experienced significant storms which rained out at least 3 of our 7 days. One was a hurricane!

When we have gone in April and May (5 times) we have never had a bad day.

If staying off the beach watching it rain would ruin your vacation, I don't recommend the rainy season.:eek:ut:

Having lived here 9 years now, I can honestly say there are no really bad times of year weather-wise in Cozumel! That's the great thing about our tropical setting...it's never bad as compared to other places further north! But, understanding what you're getting at with regard to dive conditions etc. here are a few guidelines to determine if you would be happy/comfortable diving during these time frames:

March-June:SPRING/SUMMER seas are usually flat, skies sunny...alot of "no cloud" days, water temp 78-80 and viz from 100 - 300+ depending on if we get any rains. These months riding on the boat is pleasantly warm because humidity is less and alot of sunscreen is needed.

July-Oct:RAINY SEASON seas are usually flat, skies are more cloudy and rain comes/goes throughout the day with no real rhyme or reason so it's very humid [70%+] as well as warm. Water temp will be 80-84 and 300+ viz if the rains are scattered. This is also part of our hurrican/tropical storm time....if these roll thru ~ all bets are off on water conditions obviously!! However, with that said this is also a great time to be here diving if there is no "weather"...fewer divers, fewer people in general.

Nov-Feb: WINTER Seas will be lightly choppy, most days it will be sunny with skies partly cloudy and water temps will go from 84 down to 78-80 range. Viz will be very good generally. During winter we get "nortes" that blow in from time to time and shut down diving for 2-3 days. Also, the boat rides can be chilly for sometimes there are low north winds and diving goes on.

These conditions only affect your personal comfort so you can best decide what you are willing to tolerate ~
As far as critters go...they are here no matter what the weather although you are more likely to see larger stuff during the winter months when the water is cooler...especially the spotted eagle rays!

Just become a frequent visitor and you'll see that any day diving beats being somewhere else no matter the time of year!!

Hope this helps some!!

Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it. I was in Coz diving last month and hopdfully next month also. I am going to try to get down for a few days every other month and wanted to be sure to pick the best times to come down.

Thanks,

Rich Hagelin

Man - You suck! Just kidding.

We go every year in June and I've never missed a dive day. I would like to go during the slower times of the year though...

Every other month? Really? I guess it sucks to be me!

Have a great time!

I'm looking at going for a week in mid-November. Since November is on the summer side of the summer/winter cusp I hope that increases my chances for good weather.

I've only been to Coz four times, each time only for a day as a passenger on a cr#!$e ship, and only doing one two-tank trip there is a crying shame(not to mention a tease)!

Every time I've been there, ranging from late September to late October, we've had perfect weather, so I hope I'm not tempting fate too much.

Wish that I could go right now!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom