Best Women's BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rachael_243

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

Looking for some advice before purchasing my first BCD. I want a jacket style one that's designed for women but it needs to be affordable.
I've been looking at the following:
- Scubapro Bella
- Aqualung Pearl
- Cressi Travelight

Does anyone have any opinions they can share on the above or any other options that I've not considered?

Thanks in advance!!

My wife has been diving a jacket style BCD for a few years but is going to try a backpack. The reason is that jacket style BCD presses on her chest when inflated and she feels a bit claustrophobic. She thinks that breathing will be a bit easier with the backpack type BCD. She's going to try one or two different ones in the LDS pool soon and I'll let you know what she thinks after.

I am not familiar with the 3 BCD's that you have referenced, so I will not speak to either model except to say: try them all on (preferably with a full tank) to get a sense of fit, comfort, and adjustability. Are the pockets easily accessible? How much "stuff" can you put in them? How are the D-rings positioned and mounted? Where are the dump valves and how convenient are they to use? Maybe do this with a trusted friend who has some experience with different BCD's.

Another option is to consider a wing/backplate setup: I have dived with mine very happily for over 10 years.

My wife liked the Bella but now has a Hydros and LOVES it. It is not very inexpensive but she thinks it was worth the upgrade. The most important thing is how it fits and works for you though so make sure and “try before you buy” if at all possible!

I have a pearl and it's comfortable enough for what it is (a jacket). Overall, the pockets are easy to access and the integrated weighting works well. I do wish it had more attachment points however, and the rubber zipper pulls like to rip off (though that could be a manufacturing flaw in mine.). I did fix the zipper pulls but it may be something to be aware of.
I've also noticed it is a bit limited in amount of lift - not usually an issue as I don't need air in my bcd at depth, but I used it through my rescue certification and the bcd could barely lift me and a 'victim' (mannequin with a broken bcd in cold water). It's fine with me alone in cold water or with a (live) victim with functional bcd. I'm t

I'm switching from it to a hollis bp/w because I have shoulder flexibility issues that make jacket bcds difficult to use and I'm not a fan of all the padding and extra buoyancy. My pearl is also way too big unless I'm diving in a 7mm wetsuit.
I don't like how puffy the pearl is, even when it is empty - I have shoulder issues and need to be able to put my arm straight down to my side, which the pearl doesn't entirely allow. I also hate how it squeezes me when fully inflated, but it is more secure than the unisex versions I typically end up with if I'm renting a bcd.

A friend of mine has the Cressi and she likes it for a jacket BCD (she's also very small and slight). I'm not familiar with the others, but two that many of my female friends like are the Scubapro Hydros and Aqualung Rogue. The Rogue in particular is great if your body just isn't a 'standard' size or if you're prone to large weight/size shifts (bloating is my enemy when trying to get back into my gear) since each part can be customized and switched out.

If you can, try all three of your top picks in and out of a pool, with and without wetsuit and tank. Trying with a weight belt on helped me out a lot because the belts tend to move and get stuck between me and the BCD which ends up wrecking my back after a day of diving. If you've had similar problems, I'd advise looking at a back plate and wing system or integrated pockets

same boat as a few others here, my wife bought a jacket style BCD and was never able to get comfortable, then tried a BP W and loved it, she has been using it 6 years now and still good to go.
Ultimately, it comes to what you are comfortable with but I wouldn't rule out a BP W if you have never gave it a try.

Happy diving!

Hi all,

Looking for some advice before purchasing my first BCD. I want a jacket style one that's designed for women but it needs to be affordable.
I've been looking at the following:
- Scubapro Bella
- Aqualung Pearl
- Cressi Travelight

Does anyone have any opinions they can share on the above or any other options that I've not considered?

Thanks in advance!!

My Daughter and my Dive Partners wife swear by the Zeagle Zena. It really fits around a women, better then most. Partners wife, had some Surgery, and she just had to swap the middle zipper panel for a larger ones, which took 2 minutes. Spoke with other women here in Florida that love the BCD too. Sadly, It is a Back inflate though.

Pearl is actually a hybrid design, elements of both jacket and back inflation.
Cressi Travelight is a nice BCD, but as with many travel specific designs the materials are lighter and not as durable as other heavier BCDs. You will have to dive quite a bit to wear it out, but do expect it to happen sooner than many others. And I would NOT recommend a Travelight for cold water diving where you have to load up the weight pockets - that will hasten the wear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom