Best Weight System on Hogarthian?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a weight belt and cam band pouches when diving singles with a dry suit. I also use a DSS SS plate with extra weight plates. When diving doubles I use a v-weight.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Weight belt with threaded block weights and a SS buckle: simple, cheap, effective.

For single tank diving, I use a rubber weight belt made by Mako, that was sent to me by Dumpster Diver. I was dubious, but have become a convert. For doubles in Puget Sound, I use a half v-weight on the bottom bolt, and a 12 pound standard webbing weight belt.

The only issue with a weight belt in a Hog setup is that you have to decide whether you are going to wear it inside or outside of the crotch strap. Donning a big weight belt outside the crotch strap can be difficult, but if you are diving wet in cold water, it's the only way to ensure the belt is easily ditchable. Yes, you can dump a weight belt that is under the crotch strap, but it requires either threading the belt out of the strap, or undoing the BC harness altogether to let it drop.

Those of us who dive dry often just decide it's okay to have it under the crotch strap, on the theory that we have redundant buoyancy in the event of a wing failure.

I use a soft weight belt from SeaSoft. It is nice and cush on my hips. For single tank I also have a lead wedge poured for my backplate. I wear mine under my crotch strap as losing it at depth to me is more of a health risk, than ditching at the surface.

Especially if using a drysuit keeping some weight on your person is important in case you have to doff your kit underwater. Otherwise you go sailing up as your BC sinks.

For single tank diving, I use a rubber weight belt made by Mako, that was sent to me by Dumpster Diver. I was dubious, but have become a convert. For doubles in Puget Sound, I use a half v-weight on the bottom bolt, and a 12 pound standard webbing weight belt.

The only issue with a weight belt in a Hog setup is that you have to decide whether you are going to wear it inside or outside of the crotch strap. Donning a big weight belt outside the crotch strap can be difficult, but if you are diving wet in cold water, it's the only way to ensure the belt is easily ditchable. Yes, you can dump a weight belt that is under the crotch strap, but it requires either threading the belt out of the strap, or undoing the BC harness altogether to let it drop.

Those of us who dive dry often just decide it's okay to have it under the crotch strap, on the theory that we have redundant buoyancy in the event of a wing failure.

Lynne,

I have been concerned about the crotch strap/weight belt dilemma and have dealt with it by always positioning the belt buckle a couple inches to the left of my crotch strap and rigged for right hand release. I've tested it in both vertical and horizontal orientations and once I pull the bitter (loose) end and let go of it, gravity does the rest. The weight and buckle will swing toward the back of my feet and the bitter end pulls through the crotch strap. Seems to work for me.

Comments?

BTW I have 8-10 pounds spread out on the belt. And I cinch the belt rather tightly so it doesn't move during the dive. I have one of those expandable buckles that will compensate for depth changes.

You can support ALOT of tank weight underwater with a drysuit. I know I have a few times. Way way more than a mere set of doubles, like doubles and 3 stages. You can't support this much at the surface since the suit will vent at the neck. So you need to lay on your belly and ditch the weight belt before completely surfacing. Not really a big deal.

I wear my weightbelt under my harness and I don't know anyone wearing one outside. Losing your belt UW is a huge disaster, way bigger deal than swimming up/surfacing without using either the wing or drysuit. Balanced rig and all that jazz.

I think it might depend on what kind of weight belt you are using. The one time I lost mine (it came loose) it caught on the crotch strap, which was actually rather nice, since I didn't intend to drop it. It was one of the pocketed kind, and the pockets are quite bulky. It might be much easier to jettison one with hard weights, and the Seasoft kind with the smooth contour might be easiest of all. I don't know -- I have never tried to do that. As rjack says, I am much more concerned about keeping all my weights with me than I am with being able to get rid of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom