Best way to dive French Polynesia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ophelie

Reaction score
I've been trying to read up on the various atolls, but I have a feeling that guidebooks don't tell the whole story. And that the prices (US$50 per dive) are on the high side.

Earlier posts recommended combining a week on the Tahiti Aggressor with a few days diving from a land-based resort. The Aggressor seems quite expensive. Is there some way of getting a discount from the published prices of the Aggressor, as well as the resort and dive operation? How many people in a group will merit a better deal? And which resort would you recommend?

Can anyone out there give some feedback on the liveaboard catamarans that take only 6-8 divers?

French Polynesia is EXPENSIVE.

There is just no way around it. My partner and I spent our 20th Anniversary there (2 weeks) in March of 2002. We had 2 nights on Tahiti, 4 nights on Manihi, and a week on the Radisson's Paul Gaugin. If you are considering a remote atol, I HIGHLY recommend Manihi. We stayed in an over-water bungalow at the only resort on the island. In speaking with the DM there, he indicated there are a few local "pensions" (private homes) that rent rooms, at a reduced rate, and obviously less glamorous accomodations.

Have Fun!

Scuba-sass :)

I would recommend contacting Didier Alpini at aquatica@mail.pf We dove with Didier in Tahiti (the island of) and have remained good firends ever since. We met at DEMA this year and he was discussing trips to Fakkaruva (sp?) atol, and the pictures were fantastic.

Drop him a note and tell him Jim Cox referred you. jimcox

While I was in Rangiroa, the boat hardly left the harbour. If you want to be in a group of 16 divers on all dives, it is best to use one of the local operations, like the Raie Manta Club. I also enjoyed the diving in Fakarava, but not as much as Rangiroa.

French Polynesia is expensive. You can stay in pensions (bed and breakfast), without hot water, etc. They are more affordable than the tacky resorts, but seem poor value for what they offer. But the diving is really worth it.

If you make it in August, do not miss the snorkelling with the whales on Rurutu. But make sure you book all your trips BEFORE you arrive to the island. (With Raie Manta Club.)

I recommend staying in Bora Bora. Nothing compares to staying in an overwater bungalow and enjoying the rich animal life in the lagoon. The number of sharks inside and outside of the lagoon is enormous. Also, there are other treats like the sight of clown anemonefish and sea turtles. The island caters to its guests through a multitude of restaurants.

Check out the Club Bai Hai in Moorea - reasonable room rates - I paid a little extra and got a room with a kitchen - the supermarket is near by so we made our own lunches. There were also a couple of reasonable places to eat in the evening near by.

I used Moorea Blue Diving - they were prompt with the pickups at the Bali Hai dock in the morning and very nice to deal with

I think 8 people on the Aggressor will get you a free spot

Check out www.windjammer.com and go to their "Sail for Less" page. Their French Polynesia 10-day cruise is only $999.00 for a limited time. Although not a liveaboard dive boat, they offer diving escursions at each island they visit (Tahiti • Huahine • Moorea • Rangiroa • Fakarava • Manihi • Tahaa • Bora Bora • Makatea). The price includes all meals and some of your drinks. Hard to beat for the price. My wife and I are taking this trip in October. We have sailed with Windjammer before in the Caribbean and have dove up to 4 tanks a day with an occasional night dive thrown in.

If you love diving, Go on the Aggressor. Once you factor in food and accomadations, and land based diving its a great deal. Try Local dive shops for dive trips. Ours had a trip planned on the Aggressor. We saved money on the flights. That has been the best dive experience to date. We went from Fakarave to Rangiroa. A LOT OF SHARKS!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom