Best Way to Attach a GoPro to my Head?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CharlieDontDive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I want to get a GoPro and start filming my dives. It seems that the best way to get true "point of view" footage is to have the camera on my head somehow (I considered attaching it to my chest, but that’s often pointed straight down whereas my head is always facing the stuff worth filming...)

I see there are several ways to "head mount" a GoPro and wanted to see what experiences you all have had. I’ve seen a strap like a head lamp, another is a mount that attaches it to the side of the mask strap...I also see special masks made with GoPro mounts on them...

What do you guys recommend?

Mount it on a tray or handle so you can frame your shots and hold the camera steady.

I second using a tray instead. Attaching a GoPro to your head will most likely result in videos that look like your camera was mounted on the back of a Labrador.....that just happened to be “mounted” on the back of another Labrador.

2” drywall screws

Attaching a GoPro to your head will most likely result in videos that look like your camera was mounted on the back of a Labrador.....that just happened to be “mounted” on the back of another Labrador.

As does every other GoPro video underwater.

There’s a huge gap between those GoPro 1/2 hour infomercials and the stuff everybody else brings back.

Drywall screws, I’m sticking with drywall screws, right through that huge flat spot on your brow.

David Letterman Monkey Cam:

Seriously, just don't do it. Invest in a decent handheld mount that allows you to add a video light now or in the future.

friend of mine tried this with one of the mask things and I don't think he got very good results.

Isn’t the Parallenz better to attach to a helmet ?

OCTOMASK® : GoPro® Video From Your Dive Mask

Works great. My daughter uses a GoPro session (smaller GoPro) and it works very well. Very secure.

Edit...hours of video done with no bubble interference or excessive vibration.

but poorerlens will be ironing out bugs for years to come
and you still have vibration and clarity problems due to exhaust bubbles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom