Best Visibility , Komodo / Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dawhale

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What months have the best visibility in Komodo and Raja Ampat ? Thank you , dawhale

dawhale:
What months have the best visibility in Komodo and Raja Ampat ? Thank you , dawhale

Hi Dawhale,

Depends. Komodo is unique. April-September is the dry season in the north so you might say the seas are calmest then but then there can be wind. South is the Indian ocean and it's calmest Nov-March. I'm bound for Komodo in August which is a really good time to dive the north part (so i have been told). That's high season for Bali and if you intend to go to Bali forget Dec-Feb, that's rainy season. If you want to see more and do more try the in-between seasons.

Check out kararu.com and you can see the boat schedule and know that the liveaboards are going to be taking advantage of the best seasons in each location.

Post a report no matter when you go.....

" I'm bound for Komodo in August which is a really good time to dive the north part (so i have been told)."

Deano2 , I did a live-aboard trip last August with Grand Komodo Tours http://www.komodoalordive.com/ on the MV Temukira . Just trying to get a consensus as to when the best visibility occurs. I am in the planning stages to return next year , dive Komodo again and an 11 day in Raja Ampat. Trying to find a happy medium for both destinations. Thank you for your input. dawhale

dawhale:

I visited Komodo twice -

- First time in October: 30 m viz in the North but the Southern sites were miserable (< 5m viz, very cold)
- Then around Christmas; this time the north suffered from so so viz (about 10m but the South was at its best !

Both trips were fantastic :)

dawhale:
" I'm bound for Komodo in August which is a really good time to dive the north part (so i have been told)."

Deano2 , I did a live-aboard trip last August with Grand Komodo Tours http://www.komodoalordive.com/ on the MV Temukira . Just trying to get a consensus as to when the best visibility occurs. I am in the planning stages to return next year , dive Komodo again and an 11 day in Raja Ampat. Trying to find a happy medium for both destinations. Thank you for your input. dawhale

Hi Dawhale,

Did you write up a report? I'd love to read it if you did and if didn;t shame on you...bad Dawhale....

Hi Dawhale,

I'll check it out, thanks. Look for mine in August, I'll post a link here (with pic's)...
and one on Sulawesi in may. have a good one. How's the diving these days in SC?

Deano2, I admit I do not dive much if at all in the winter here in California. The water in some areas can be cold and green. I bought a dry-suit but do not enjoy diving in it. I liken it to diving in a trash bag. Much prefer a wet-suit. My 2005 diving will begin in June with a 2-day halibut on the dive boat Peace out of Ventura Harbor and continue through the summer caped off with lobster season in October / November. I look forward to your report. Dive safely.dawhale

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom