Best use of a AL63

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulfhedinn

-Skill Collector-
Reaction score
I have an AL63 taking up space. I am purchasing (3) AL6 for drysuit Argon and I already have an AL13. I was thinking If I pick up a gas transfill hose could I not refill my AL6 and AL13 from the AL63 and save a few trips back to the LDS an hour away?

Would my fills be "short" in the AL6 and AL13?

I'm new to using a transfll hose so I may be totally wrong.

Special! Deluxe Din Cylinder Transfill Hose with large bore hose

I didn't think anyone actually paid to fill their drysuit bottles and the transfill whip came with them, haha.

AL6 and AL13?
Not sure about the practicality (I don't use small bottles for that sort of thing, but seems like some fairly basic knapkin math (not getting into z-values and whatnot).
First couple of fills (assuming all bottles service pressure to 3000psi) would be like 2600psi, 2300, etc. on the AL6, right? So you'd only get a couple 'good' fills until you're dealing with half-full tanks, which maybe you could compensate for by bringing the bigger of the two aluminums.

Again, not my thing, but if I were to try that, it would make way more sense to have a cave-filled steel tank (say, an LP85) at like 4000psi. But that's probably not happening in California, much less even with argon..

Also, you might want to push some breathable gas through that transfill whip before using it on other tanks.. I'd hate for you to get some residual argon in your backgas.

I've got a calculator here for transfilling which you can use to calculate this.
Gas Planning
Starting from 0 in 6 and 3k in 63, you end with 5 cuft and 2740 psi.
Draining the 6 empty again, you'd get 5 cuft and 2400 psi,
Third round gets you only 4cuft and about 2100 psi.

Anyways, it will buy you some time, especially if your LDS has a $7 minimum fill for each 6 cuft bottle...and if they will do 3300 psi in the 63 that's a lot better.

If you are using argon, then label, label, label!! Don't let anyone mistake a 63 for breathable gas when it's full of argon.

Personally I would dive with the 63 if you have some shallow dive opportunities.

My daughter matches me bar for bar when she uses a 63 and I use an 80 :D

I currently have two 63s but if topping up a small bottle use a bigger tank, you'll barely notice the drop in pressure from an AL80 or HP100.

I've got a calculator here for transfilling which you can use to calculate this.
Gas Planning
Starting from 0 in 6 and 3k in 63, you end with 5 cuft and 2740 psi.
Draining the 6 empty again, you'd get 5 cuft and 2400 psi,
Third round gets you only 4cuft and about 2100 psi.

Anyways, it will buy you some time, especially if your LDS has a $7 minimum fill for each 6 cuft bottle...and if they will do 3300 psi in the 63 that's a lot better.

If you are using argon, then label, label, label!! Don't let anyone mistake a 63 for breathable gas when it's full of argon.
Quoted for the importance of this. If you have argon, make sure it’s labelled, and better to be locked up in some way.

Honestly, are you sure you want to go through the trouble of using argon? Why not just use plain air? The difference In heat capacity is so small. Going from helium to argon makes a huge difference in warmth and maybe more so cost, but from air to argon? I wouldn’t do it so it increased risk and cost and lacking returns.

As others mentioned, you do get diminishing returns but it would work. If I were you, I'd be more likely to fill the 63 with air and use air for the drysuit.... then the 63 becomes workbench air supply/shallow shore dive tank/ short fill that beats nothing for pony or drysuit bottle.

I'm also cheap and use this method for tranfil:
Tank Equalizer for $2.50

Respectfully,

James

Thanks for all the ideas. To much setting around at work looking to tweak. Will leave the 63 as my workbench air like before. When the helium comes into play I will just grab a few more AL6 to have on hand. Just hate the $7 fill for a AL6 but everyone has to make there money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom