Best underwater digital for under $700.00

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dhboner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My son is shopping for his first underwater camera. He is looking at the Sea and Sea DX 1200 HD but has read some accounts of problems with the camera "freezing up" and having to remove the battery and reboot.

I'm trying to get some informed opinions about this camera or some recommendations for a decent underwater digital camera for less than $700.00

Thanks guys!

Bob

I've been very happy with our Ikelite housing for the Nikon L18. Got it at a local dive shop with the strobe for under your budget now that the L20 version is out. Without the strobe you should be able to get into an L20 version for ~$350 and for most of my shots I find myself leaving the strobe turned off. If you get the L20 version spare cameras are ~$100 at the local WalMart or even cheaper online so a replacement is quick and easy should it ever get flooded or have issues. Only thing to watch out for is fogging of the housing but a couple of moisture munchers tossed inside and it's not an issue any longer. Bonaire - philandjen's Photos

All of the underwater pictures from our recent Bonaire trip are using the camera and housing.

He looked at getting a housing for his land camera but the Ikelite housing for his Nikon D80 is around $1,400.00!

Bob

Yep, did the same thing, stopped adding when the cost of taking my D300 under hit $2500. That's why the point and shoot using an industry standard camera is a great choice IMO. They are cheap, they are easily replaced at any local store or online should something flood or get wonky, and they are very unlikely to be your limiting factor in getting good pictures especially if you are just starting to shoot underwater. I picked up a factory re-furb L18 for $60 that I now bring with just in case something happens on vacation to the primary camera.

Great advice...I'll pass it on to Junior!

Bob

Back
Top Bottom