Best tour group for Maua Kea stargazing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're going to the Big Island on Labor Day for about 10 days, and at the end of our time we're planning a trip up to the summit to do some star gazing. I REALLY want a cool picture of the stars and I don't trust my own camera to be able to make it happen - ideally, I'd like a picture of us, with said stars (Milky Way?) behind us. Anyone know of a company that takes these kinds of photos AND does a good tour? If I can't get the pic it won't be the end of the world - the quality tour is the most important. But if I can have both, that would be perfecto!

Thanks!

Currently there is a protest at the base of the summit on Saddle Road blocking access to the top. It involves native Hawaiians who do not want the TMT (thirty meter telescope) to be built. Its a heavy and divisive issue on the island and has been going on since July 16th. Who knows when the public will be able to access the summit again but I wouldnt count on it for Labor Day.

@Kimela, I have done a fair bit of Milky Way Photography. Your best bet will be as close to 30 August (the New Moon) as possible. If you are more than a few days before or after this, then moonlight will tend to wash out the Milky Way. Shortly after sunset at that time of the year in Hawaii, the Milky Way will be in the southern sky running almost vertically from South to North.

If your camera can shoot in manual mode, try this as a starting point (It will NOT be the final setting, but it should get you into the ball park.) Use the widest lens you have, and open it up to its widest aperture (the lowest "f-stop" number). Set your ISO to 3200 and your shutter speed to 25 seconds. Auto focus will not work, so you will have to focus manually. (Point at a bright star or planet and make the dot as small as possible.) Use a tripod and take your picture. It will take a little trial & error, but it isn't really too hard especially if the skies are clear.

As an alternative to Mauna Kea, if you can't get up there, a second option that would make a very cool back drop would be if you can find a spot where you can see the lava flow in the background and get the Milky Way in the sky with the orange lava in the background.

Here is a shot I took in Arches National Park a few years ago:
Moab-54.jpg

One thing to keep in mind whether you go up to Mauna Kea or to Volcanoes National Park is that you will be climbing significantly from Sea Level. Make sure you allow sufficient time to off-gas before going to either location or even better, do this before you go diving.

Currently there is a protest at the base of the summit on Saddle Road blocking access to the top. It involves native Hawaiians who do not want the TMT (thirty meter telescope) to be built. Its a heavy and divisive issue on the island and has been going on since July 16th. Who knows when the public will be able to access the summit again but I wouldnt count on it for Labor Day.

I was aware of the protest but didn't realize they were blocking access to the summit. That stinks. We should have done it when we were there two years ago. I can literally feel that 'heart sinking' thing. What a bummer. I understand ... just disappointed.

(And just realized I left out the 'n' in Mauna Kea ... oops.

@Kimela, I have done a fair bit of Milky Way Photography.

Your photo is breathtaking! I have a decent camera but nothing I can dial in like what you are suggesting - or maybe it's a combo of that and no patience for it! But it looks like it's a moot point anyway, as long as the entrance is blocked. But I'll see what cool pics I can take elsewhere and experiment. Thanks for the suggestions - maybe I'll practice before I go ...

Your photo is breathtaking! I have a decent camera but nothing I can dial in like what you are suggesting - or maybe it's a combo of that and no patience for it! But it looks like it's a moot point anyway, as long as the entrance is blocked. But I'll see what cool pics I can take elsewhere and experiment. Thanks for the suggestions - maybe I'll practice before I go ...
Just out of curiosity, what kind of camera do you have?

Just out of curiosity, what kind of camera do you have?

It's a Sony Alpha 300 DSLR. I don't know if that's good or bad. My husband got it for me about 10 years ago and I break it out for special occasions. :)

It's a Sony Alpha 300 DSLR. I don't know if that's good or bad. My husband got it for me about 10 years ago and I break it out for special occasions. :)
I'm sorry, I also should have asked what your widest lens is too (as well as its "f-stop"). I will see what I can work out for you. You might not be able to sell your image to NatGeo, but you will be able to say "Here is a really cool pic I took in Hawaii."

I'm sorry, I also should have asked what your widest lens is too (as well as its "f-stop"). I will see what I can work out for you. You might not be able to sell your image to NatGeo, but you will be able to say "Here is a really cool pic I took in Hawaii."

Thank you - that's very kind of you. I only have one lens and it's the one that came with it. It say SH0006 on the side, and on the front it says 0.38m/1.3ft MACRO. It also says DT 3.5-5.6/18-70. I don't see where to find the f stop? I really feel like a dope. I just point it, focus it a little and click the button. Sometimes I use the timer too! :wink:

Thank you - that's very kind of you. I only have one lens and it's the one that came with it. It say SH0006 on the side, and on the front it says 0.38m/1.3ft MACRO. It also says DT 3.5-5.6/18-70. I don't see where to find the f stop? I really feel like a dope. I just point it, focus it a little and click the button. Sometimes I use the timer too! :wink:
OK, so, based on that, the camera has an APS-C sized sensor and the lens is 18mm (at the widest) and f3.5-5.6. (So the part you will need is to set it to 18mm (zoom it as wide as you can) and set the f-stop to 3.5) Let me see what I can come up with thanks to the magic of the internet. :)

Back
Top Bottom