Best time to visit Curacao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgw04024

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are thinking of heading there Oct-Feb. Are there any considerations we should consider within those dates? Been to Bonaire 3 times, want to try the other island. Really enjoy the shore diving aspect of Bonaire.

Only been twice and in Jan. From what I learned I don't know if there is a best or worst time. Summer will be hotter and drier and winter colder and wetter. I know, duh. On our visits, we spent time with friends who are from CUR and live on the island year round (and non divers). They seem to welcome and enjoy the relatively cooler winter temps and seem to not enjoy as much the hot dry summer. From our perspective, Jan was fine. Warm enough to enjoy being outside and diving without being oppressively hot. Same experience when we dove Bon in Jan. The terrain more lush and green in Jan due to it being a rainer time of year. We have had rain but nothing that washed out our plans. More like passing showers and nothing that lasted long.

The ABCs are off the traditional hurricane track so I would think October would be great. I would think the other months would be fine. I have not heard of northers in Dec like you have in the upper Caribbean.

In Jan, I think are temps were mostly in the 80s with water temps mostly in the high 70s. I think they were mostly around 78. With multiple dives/day or early in the morning diving with a breeze the diving can be on the cooler side in Jan. On the plus side if you are planning on shore diving by truck or car and traveling around and spending time on beaches the temps will be more enjoyable. This was our experience and same on Bon.

Many travelers opt not to come in September or October. If there is any chance of bad weather (think hurricanes....) no one wants to be stranded in Miami and miss a day or two of vacation.
I personally think the Christmas/New Year weeks are too crowded and busy.
That said..... American Airlines is adding a third flight daily from Miami starting in December! Bookings start mid May.

Looked up historical temp data for 2017. February it will probably be. I'm all set on mid 90's temp wise. We're from Maine. :)

Thanks for the replies!

We go late September/early October and do very well. The owner of the condo we rent (Marazul) says he likes that time of year and thinks we're spot on. LOL...sounds like a come on, but he's a very nice guy. We have rented several times and the rest of his recommendations have been "spot on," so maybe we're on to something. Who knows, but we like it. Going again this fall. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Have fun. Let us know if you have any more questions.

We've been to Curacao 4 times over the past 2 years, twice in November and twice in April. Both times in November we had a little rain and most days were partially cloudy. Both times in April we received no rain and mostly sunny each day. Personally if I could only go once a year it would be between January to April. My 2 cents. Anytime in Curacao is great. Love the island.

Was in Bonaire for the first time last month. It's a diver's island through and through. Curacao is a mix. Both islands offer terrific shore dives, Bonaire has more sites. Strongly recommend both islands for visits and dives.

When I first started diving, I headed to Cozumel. Close, affordable and great diving. Unfortunately, visits in the winter time can be iffy. If a system from the north moves in and makes the water rough, it can result in lost days in diving. I love Cozumel but it was aggravating losing 2 1/2 days of consecutive days of diving due to these weather fronts(this happened on two different vacations). That is when we decided to head further south for our Jan. or Feb dive vacations. In Curacao, we have dealt with windy conditions and short bursts of rain, but I cannot recall losing any days diving. One year we decided to visit Curacao in late July/early August. I braced myself for some hot and humid weather. Turns out that it was a lot more comfortable than summer here in St. Louis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom