Best time to dive Komodo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weinerr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
While I have read a bunch of posts I am still confused as to the best time to dive Komodo. One of my main drivers for this trip is the giant mantas so Manta Point is a must. I've dove the high currents and cold water of the Galapagos so I'm flexible when it comes to conditions. While I have your attention feel free to share your liveaboards recommendations. Thanks scuba friends and happy new year!

Having been to both the northern and southern sites of Komodo, I would not want to return there (and I DO want to return there) without visiting both areas again. The varitey of dive sites is worth the effort to time it right to do both, IMHO. For us, it was the last half of October. I'm no expert on what other period(s) will get you to all of Komodo, but that one worked for us.

From Undercurrent's Seasonal Dive Planner:

The thousands of Indonesian islands are spread out over mainly an equatorial tropical climate, but the season for diving Indonesia is as complex as everything else about this diverse amalgam of a country. Your diving Indonesia experience will probably be enhanced if you plan around the wet monsoon season, generally December through the middle of March, in many areas; though Raja Ampat diving is generally better and more popular then due to calmer seas. The dry monsoon of southeast winds curtails the diving in Flores during July and August. The Moluccas, however, have their wet monsoons the reverse of everyone else, in July and August, and diving should be avoided then. Depending on your specific destination, April-May and September are the best all-round months to dive Indonesia (with the exception of Raja Ampat as noted).

We had lovely conditions--flat seas and clear skies--in September, a few years ago.

Great conditions in both north and south in August 2011 too. 6 mantas circling us the whole dive at Manta Point despite a rather rude boatload of divers chasing them. (I never did find out which boat). The mola-mola on the same dive was a bonus. Komodo is so much more than mantas though. Enjoy it all. I was on the Black Manta and highly recommend it but, then again, I am very biased as I work on it at times.

I have been twice in Komodo. First time in July (only North sites: castle rock, chrystal rock, batu belong etc.). Superb divesites and visibility but impossible to go to the Southern sites. Second time was in November (North part + West Komodo + South Komodo + South Rinca). Flat seas in the south and worldclass diving. Visibility in the north was less good then in the summer months but still 20m. I would vote for october-november.

Hi all,
I am living in Indonesia and has been to Komodo like 3 times in 2011, and about to go again in January 2012.

The weather and climate here is really-really unpredictable, but true, during the wet season there are some hard wind.
I dived Komodo in August, September and November, my best dive was in September, 12 mantas were circling around in Manta Point (Taka Makasar). They were even there (the mantas), in Shotgun spot - a spot that is common for drift-diving, not for manta sight-seeing. In November, the sea was calmer than in September (I can hardly met a current), but it's best to find some critters beneath the sea bed.

You can dive Komodo from north to south, and during the wet season, southern area is more friendly to be dived through, but you can also dive the northern area if the weather is not too bad.

Anyway, if you guys are planning to dive in Indonesia and you are searching for any suggestion, feel free to contact me.
Not just about to bring you to Indonesia's underwater beauty, but I can manage affordable diving prices as well.
This January, we're going to have a live on board diving in 5D4N in Komodo just for USD 350. :wink:

I dove both North and South Komodo in June/July of 2011. Saw about 10-14 mantas at Manta Alley. I personally preferred South Komodo. Temperature was definitely colder there but less people and better life at that time of the year.

Have visited Komodo 3 times over the years, in August, in October and in December - Diving was fantastic everytime, and we saw plenty of mantas on all trips either in the South, or in the North or both :) August and October were similar in terms of conditions: good viz. in the North, cold in the South. December was the other way around. Not sure if these are patterns, only my experience.

As a general rule Komodo is best (in terms of visibility and sea condition) between middle or end of March to end of November.
This said, it can also happen that, for few days during Summer time, the wind is strong and the swell is big so a “little” boat will not be able to go to the south part.
Very best months with no risk of surprises are: April, Mai, September, October and November.
I would suggest: Seven seas, Amira, Tambora, Damai or the new boat from Wallacea dive cruise: Ambai

Good advice on the best timing for Komodo but why would you just recommend those boats? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom