Best time, outside peak time, to visit Wakatobi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CJS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wakatobi has peak rates in 2025 as follows:
  • Monday, April 14, 2025 — Monday, April 28, 2025
  • Monday, September 15, 2025 — Monday, November 17, 2025
  • Monday, December 22, 2025 — Monday, January 5, 2026
I want to go for a week, at non-peak time. Digging around suggests Jun, Jul, Aug are windy (good for kite surfers, less good for snorkeler spouse). I'm thinking the second week of September, just before peak rates kick in. Do others have a view on the best time to visit?

Wakatobi has peak rates in 2025 as follows:
  • Monday, April 14, 2025 — Monday, April 28, 2025
  • Monday, September 15, 2025 — Monday, November 17, 2025
  • Monday, December 22, 2025 — Monday, January 5, 2026
I want to go for a week, at non-peak time. Digging around suggests Jun, Jul, Aug are windy (good for kite surfers, less good for snorkeler spouse). I'm thinking the second week of September, just before peak rates kick in. Do others have a view on the best time to visit?
We've been to Wakatobi in both June, July, and August (several times). The wind does pick up in the afternoons, however the water is flat calm during the mornings, and again in the later afternoon (flat enough to easily paddleboard in front of the resort).

They don't kite anywhere near the reefs - it's calm enough to snorkel the local reefs even during a windy period. Certainly not an issue for snorkeling their house reef at anytime of day...

To be honest, until I read your post, I've never thought about wind as an issue at Wakatobi - occasionally rain, but never wind. Once you get outside the immediate area weather does play a larger role (for example, their liveaboard, the Pelagian is limited certain times of year from crossing from Wakatobi to Flores, Alor, etc. due to weather), and we've been 5x times as a family.

Reactions: CJS
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom