Best time of year for Greece???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peludo

New
Reaction score
When is the best time of year to go to Greece to dive?
Weather, vis, not too many people maybe, access to great dive sites and of course cost are all factors.
We are considering next year 2011.

Well, generally speaking the best time to visit Greece is middle of June– middle of July
The prices are still not that high, the weather is good, not a lot of tourists around.
If your prime concern is diving and not swimming, sunbathing or having a busy nightlife, late May and September is also a good choice. The prices are even lower and the weather is usually nice. Still, it can be risky, since the weather is unpredictable at these periods
August is the most popular time for holidays in Greece, which means high prices and crowded places.
Of course, as far as weather is concerned, it very much depends on where you want to go. For instance, Crete has a higher temperature, summer begins in early May and ends in late September, and has a lot of diving sites. Cyclades islands (Santorini, Myconos, Amorgos etc) have also a long summer, but in June or September can be very windy, which means poor visibility. Chalkidiki, on the other hand, is at the north, so I would not recommend it for May or late September
Still, I have to warn you that, like at the rest of the world, the weather this year was peculiar. Taking Chalkidiki for instance, - this is where I usually dive - May was hot and shiny, but June was like autumn. I had hardly any dives in June since it had a lot of windy and rainy days, and the visibility was not good at all.
I would love to give you moire information for diving sites and holidays in Greece in general, but it would help if you told me what place –or type of holidays – you have in mind.
In nay case, I hope you will come and I am sure you will have the best of times – and dives!

I am VERY interested in a two week trip to Greece, to see the sights and do some diving. I would LOVE suggestions :)
thanks

Sigh, my last time in Greece was the month of August 1968. Had a wonderful time there in Athens and on the islands of Spetsai (Spetsas?), Crete and Rhodes. Could only free dive back then because of the antiquities issue. Of course back then even August was cheap... dinner for $0.50, a small bottle of ouzo for $0.16.

Had planned to go back after a year of work here in the States, but my first job placed me on Catalina Island... very similar to the Greek islands. Do hope to go back there in the next few years to SCUBA dive. Wonderful country and people.

1968 is a long time ago,many things changed since then. Now you are free to SCUBA almost everywhere. If you come in Greece drop me a message, maybe we'll meet and do some diving together here in Crete.

Sorrentini, Greece! We're also thinking of a trip next year

I had four dives in Santorini this year (August 2010). I used a diving center called Volcano Divers, they were friendly, well organised and not expensive (50 euros for double boat dive). As far as I know there are four or five more diving centers there, but I have no information about them. I am afraid marine life is not that rich, but I was extra super lucky, since we entered a cave in twelve meters where we met a big monachus - monachus mamawith two babies. It was a great experience (the seal was huge and right next to us) although I am not that sure if entering a protected animal's home is moral. Next day we visited a ship wreck at about 30 meters, and I was suprised that we did not see not a single fish at the entire dive. I guess you can not be lucky every time
Santorini itself is a unique place that has to be visited at least once in a lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom