Best Thai Island to learn to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would recommend Krabi - it's not an island but is very nice and quiet. It is also located near Phuket and some of the better sites (Phi Phi, Ko Ha Yai, Anemone Reef, Ko Bida, Hin Muang/Hin Daeng, etc.) are within easy reach. Of course, depending on WHEN you plan to visit and the weather situation, you might still have to go to Ko Tao.

vkalia:
Hey, I have the same T-shirt, Vie! :)

Ha ha - bought mine on Phi Phi. :D

I agree with the above statement that the instructor is the most important thing.

However for the sake of having fun and enjoying the whole experience, try and learn somewhere that will have good vis and is in season, which should ensure better water conditions.

Therefore I believe that in Thailand Nov-March try Krabi, Phi Phi, Phuket, Trang, or Koh Lanta, and between April-Oct try Koh Tao, Pattaya, or Samui.

But if you are going between April - Oct I would actually recommend going down to Malaysia to dive Pulau Tioman, Pulau Redang, Pulau Perhenttian Besar/Kecil, or Pulau Aur, as in my opinion the diving on the Eastern side of Peninsular Malaysia is much better than Diving in the Gulf of Thailand (East Thailand).

Vie:
Ha ha - bought mine on Phi Phi. :D

I got mine in Tao - wore it to a recent IE as well. The examiner kept giving me strange looks instead of focusing on the IDC candidates. :D

V.

AS

I spent most of the spring in Koh Tao last year. I got my initial cert 10 yrs ago in Koh Samui but so much has changed over there. Koh Tao is a bit like a divers haven. Nooone goes to Tao unless they are into diving or lost. There are gangs and gangs of dive operators along the beaches, you have to chose the one that you feel more comfortable with. The good thing is that they all offer great prices rates for their certs. A good 300% cheaper than certs in the UK for example. I did my IDC (Instructor exams) with a company called Buddha View, they have a sister shop called Asia Divers, google them and you'll find them. The 2 course directors are really cool - Mark Saworka and Ozzie that forgot the way to Sydney and ended up in Tao and Guy a Belgian who is married to a Thai lady and has been there for years his email guy@asia-divers.com Drop him an email and tell him Nobby gave you his contact, he'll see you right.

Have a good time and give my regards to all at Asia if you go there.

Nobby

There is no BEST Thai Island to dive in Thailand; Ko Samui, Ko Phangan, Ko Tao, Ko Chang, Ko PP, Ko Lanta and Phuket are all GREAT places to be and all offer PADI Dive Shops.
For you THE thing to do is to choose the right place at the right time because diving in the Gulf of Thailand (East Coast) and the Andaman Sea (on the West Coast) is very seasonal.
All the above places have plenty of GREAT PADI dive centres with qualified and dedicated Instructors. It is NOT always wise to choose the cheapest shop but rather shop around a bit and ask questions about what's included and what's not. I highly recommend you to first: A: Choose the island you want to go to, B: Go there and C:visit some of the local dive shops and see for yourself what they are like.

I'm sure you will have a GREAT time in Thailand and hope you'll have a wonderful time under water.

Back
Top Bottom