Best strobe for my digital camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladycajun

New
Reaction score
I have a Cannon Powershot A10 and the wp-dc200 waterproof case. It takes great pictures but I was wondering if anyone knew of a cheap strobe that would improve my picture quality. Please let me know if there are any, and what there price range is!

Here are some options.
Epoque makes an inexpensive strobe in the $200. range. You will also need a tray/arm which can be nothing more than a right angle section of aluminum for the strobe head and the camera housing.
I have seen another strobe recently hit the market called a Sunpak. It looks exactly like the Epoque. Both of these strobes use two AA batteries. They are not very powerful strobes.
Next option is in the $600. range plus a tray/arm that can run $200 to $300 more. A couple of those are the Sea & Sea YS90DX and the Inon D-180.
All of the above are slave strobes that are activated by your cameras built in strobe. The Epoque and the Sunpak will require you to somehow block the cameras internal strobe so it does not cause backscatter but still be able to activate the slave strobe. The Sea & Sea and Inon strobes use an optional fiber optic cable kit that transmits the light from the cameras strobe to the slave strobe as well as a device to block the cameras strobe.
I am using the Inon D-180 strobe. The cable kit varies as respects the part that fits on your housing in front of the flash. This is what the strobe head looks like. This is what the fiber optic cable kit looks like. This is what my Olympus camera looks like with the Inon D-180. Your Canon would look similar depending on the tray/arm design you chose.
I did have an Epoque strobe at one point in time but was not satisfied with the amount of light from it.

Thank you for the info it really helped. Im not sure I want to jump into the strobe world yet after thinking about prices- I mean my camera only cost like $600 and wow the idea that a little more light would be almost that much. My photos arent that bad now. Anyway, your post was most helpful thank you again

Back
Top Bottom