best soft grip for the DRIS 1K shorty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aotus

Contributor
Reaction score
I gather that the DRIS soft sock is not well-liked because it isn't very durable. I'm planning to use my light as a backup, so I want a soft glove mount that can be stowed, on the light, in a pocket. Since the light is a twist-on, I expect there aren't any options that wouldn't require turning it on before putting it on...but please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyone have anything that's worked out really well?

Thanks.

They're on the expensive side for what they are, but Divegearexpress has a new light sock that allows a small part to be attached to the light which allows the light to be removed while the 'sock' stays on your hand....I've used it w/the DRIS 1K Shorty and on the Oxycheq sock ( used Velcro w/the Oxy, keeps the light in place )......

I have the original shorty soft sock. I gave it a mediocre review for using it as a primary, but it is perfectly acceptable as a backup. What you are looking to do is exactly what I do. It goes in my pocket and if I need it, I turn it on before putting the sock on. Maybe it isn't durable, but I wouldn't know since I actually have the sock on so rarely.

I gather that the DRIS soft sock is not well-liked because it isn't very durable. I'm planning to use my light as a backup, so I want a soft glove mount that can be stowed, on the light, in a pocket. Since the light is a twist-on, I expect there aren't any options that wouldn't require turning it on before putting it on...but please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyone have anything that's worked out really well?

Thanks.
Z Gear has a new hands free BCD light mount. It lets you clamp down your light either on your shoulder area(standard mount) or mid to bottom are of the BCD(shorty mount). This unique mount is the only mount that can let you illuminate where desired and you can unclamp the light if you like. Check out this scuba board member product review of this item.
[h=2]Z GEAR light and gopro mounts A+[/h]
I received my mounts very quickly from Frank at Z GEAR. I was impressed with both the light and go-pro mount. The design was simple and efficient as I feel most things scuba related should be. Attachment to the straps on my bp&w was simple and painless. I used the light mount on some lobster hunting trips. I go with a commercial lobsterer, so everything's about speed and efficiency. I found that having a light mounted on my shoulder worked very well in the deep dark holes off of ft. pierce. I would sweep a hole with my handheld, then if there were bugs the light mount allowed me to still have light in the hole and the use of both hands while grabbing bugs. Before getting the mount I would shine my handheld then dive into darkness and start grabbing blindly, or try to lay my light in the hole and hope it stayed where I put it so I could use both hands to grab bugs and work my tickle stick. The guy I go with said the mount would have saved him quite a few eel bites over the years, lol.

The go pro mount worked well also. I wish I had some video worth sharing, but unfortunately I don't. I did record video of bug hunting in ft pierce, but nothing worth seeing. On my recent trips, there was not much vis, and the lobster there are usually 4-6 feet in holes, so the videos I have taken are 99% silt and 1% glimpses of lobster sometimes. I wouldn't consider bringing a handheld gopro with me hunting, so it is nice to have the option without having to worry about holding a camera and trying to hunt. With lobster season being closed now, I will be able to get in some fun dives and hopefully get some good videos to share. I did let the owner of my local dive shop use the mount on a trip I was working the deck and he was very impressed with it. I will post back to you as soon as I get some good videos.

Overall I can say that I am happy with both products. It is obvious that they took time to design useful products that do what they are supposed to. They are practical and durable, I will be keeping an eye on their website for whatever they come up with next.
Great job to Z GEAR on making a great product!

They're on the expensive side for what they are, but Divegearexpress has a new light sock that allows a small part to be attached to the light which allows the light to be removed while the 'sock' stays on your hand....I've used it w/the DRIS 1K Shorty and on the Oxycheq sock ( used Velcro w/the Oxy, keeps the light in place )......

I do like the look at that new Dive Right sock and would love to try out their new latch system, but I'm with you...really expensive. Maybe If reviews start popping up that praise it, it might be worth trying it out for my primary and then getting a bracket for my backup, then I could swap out one for the other if I ever need to. THAT, would be cool.
__

Z Gear has a new hands free BCD light mount. It lets you clamp down your light either on your shoulder area(standard mount) or mid to bottom are of the BCD(shorty mount). This unique mount is the only mount that can let you illuminate where desired and you can unclamp the light if you like.

this thing? Z Gear BCD Standard Dive Light Mount at LeisurePro -As I said in the original post, I'm looking for a soft glove for a backup light...not an entirely different way to carry a light. And, if we're going to consider this tangent for a moment, it looks to me like it would be a much inferior option compared to hand or helmet - mounting: 1. Much less mobility when looking around (not moving with your gaze); 2. If diving in a horizontal position, it will be pointed forward from your chest, so when one looks down to retrieve something from one's harness you get a light in your face. Lovely. In any case, that product is not at all what this thread is about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom