Best Snoot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know which is best, but I have a very competent photographer dive buddy who has the Backscatter model. He had it mounted on a 3rd arm and would unplug one strobe fiber optic cable and plug in the snoot when he wanted to use it. It had a focus light which assisted in aiming. He also had color options which could be cool for some unique lighting effects.

Just between these two, I would go for the MF-2 package. The SOFT has an advantage of using a knob for aperture control, instead of sliding masks, but it's quite heavy and bulky, to the point where some people are making DIY float blocks to offset its weight. To be sure, the MF-2 + snoot package is fairly substantial too, and it costs a bit more, but you can mount it on top of the camera, alongside your regular strobes, instead of using up a strobe by mounting a snoot on it. I use a Retra LSD + Retra Pro strobes, and it's a bit of a hassle on macro dives to remove a reflector from one of the strobes, clip it off, take the LSD off its clip and mount it on a strobe, then turn off the other strobe and change the settings for a snoot shot - I imagine that if I had an MF-1/MF-2 on the cold shoe instead, I could just turn off the regular strobes to switch to snoot, and would use it more often than I do the LSD.

This is how I've set up mine now after a lot of trial and error

full

I'm using a Retra on Retra strobes, very happy with it especially for the ease of mounting , I'm only using one of the plates.
My take is that the SOFT Marelux is too heavy, the varying aperture of light is not a critical feature for me, I can get it too handling the Retra.
I would say either Backscatter is probably the esiaest to handle if you buy the small strobe and do only macro.
If you already own a strobe, the best of all snoots according to many of its users is the Snooty by Iardino, it's a taylor made snoot designed by an italian engineer. Snooty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom