Best sites in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ian Popple

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hi fellow divers. Ian from Reef Smart Guides here. We’re planning our new guidebook for the Florida Keys. In the book we plan to describe ALL the sites in the Keys, but we will only be creating 3D maps and models for only about 30-35. We’ve developed a tentative list of what we think might be the best sites to map (some dives site and some snorkel sites - listed from north to south...see below) and we’d love your feedback. For those familiar with the Keys sites, are there any sites obviously missing from this list, which we should consider modelling in 3D? Are there any sites on the list that really don’t need to be there because they are less interesting/popular? We want to ensure that we create a guide that contains the sites people want to see and regularly visit, so we really appreciate your feedback.

(NORTH) The Elbow (Elbow Reef), Horse shoe reef, Dry Rocks/Christ of the Abyss, Grecian Rocks, Spiegel Grove, Benwood, Molasses Reef, French Reef, Duane, Bibb, Pickles Reef, Snapper Ledge, Conch Wall and Reef, Hen & Chicken Reef, Eagle, Alexander Barge, Alligator Reef, Thunderbolt, Flagler's Barge, Sombraro Reef, Steamer wreck, Looe Key, HMS Looe, Adolphus Busch Sr, USS Wilkes-Barre (tech only), Western Sambo, Joe's Tug (The Tug), Vandenberg, Cayman Salvage Master, Marker-32, Eastern Dry Rocks, Rock Key, Sand Key, Fort Zachary Taylor State Park, Alexander's Wreck (SOUTH

None of those sites can hold a candle to the poorest site in the Dry Tortugas.

Although I do enjoy the Wilkes Barre.

Wookie has a point, as far as I'm concerned not being associated with any dive shop in the Keys, there are no good dive sites in the Keys for recreational divers unless you love brown coral.

Michael

I just returned from another week of diving Bloody Bay wall and vicinity Little Cayman. The visibility and bottom topography is spectacular, arguably the most beautiful and exciting in the Caribbean. And yet, as those who have been diving in both areas concede, the density, size, and variety of marine life and the proximity and frequency of sharks and rays at humble, brown Looe Key beats Little Cayman hands down any day, any season. Period. Full stop.

The Spiegel Grove is hands down my personal favorite. I dive it every time I am in the area. I believe there are already 2 variants of 3D “maps” available, not sure if that makes a difference though. I am sure they could be improved upon.

None of those sites can hold a candle to the poorest site in the Dry Tortugas.

Although I do enjoy the Wilkes Barre.

Thanks. I was wondering whether to include Dry Tortugas. Is there any specific site there that would be good to include?

Wookie has a point, as far as I'm concerned not being associated with any dive shop in the Keys, there are no good dive sites in the Keys for recreational divers unless you love brown coral.

Michael

I hear you regarding coral cover, but at the same time, accessibility is an important factor for many people...plus the Keys have some pretty impressive wrecks no?

The Spiegel Grove is hands down my personal favorite. I dive it every time I am in the area. I believe there are already 2 variants of 3D “maps” available, not sure if that makes a difference though. I am sure they could be improved upon.

One of those variants is ours and it'll be in the guidebook for sure. Thanks for the feedback.

I just returned from another week of diving Bloody Bay wall and vicinity Little Cayman. The visibility and bottom topography is spectacular, arguably the most beautiful and exciting in the Caribbean. And yet, as those who have been diving in both areas concede, the density, size, and variety of marine life and the proximity and frequency of sharks and rays at humble, brown Looe Key beats Little Cayman hands down any day, any season. Period. Full stop.

Thanks for the feedback. Love the Sister Islands too. Good to know about Looe Key. Thanks, I

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom