Best short/light travel fin. Apeks RK3, Scubapro Jetfin or Hollis F2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ACSimages

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m looking for a fin that will primarily be light weight and small enough to travel with. I’m also an underwater photographer so short fins are ideal. I’m also a fan of the classic military style of the Jetfin/rk3. It seems the F2’s are the lightest of the bunch but I’m worried about power especially in current. Not sure about the weight of the rk3 or Jetfin but I hear great things about both and they seem compact enough for travel. Any recommendations are much appreciated! And if anyone knows the weight of the rk3 or Jetfin that’d be really helpful. I know the F2’s are about 2.1 lbs.

Cheers!!

I think if you'll search you'll find a lot of fin weights.
My F2's provide no power; I use them for my Aquarium volunteering.
Jetfins are heavy.
I travel with Deep6 Eddys....good fins, short, light.

Recomendations for SCUBA fins that meet carry-on regulations

Some lengths and weights:
- Force Fin Hockey -- XL 18 x 8.5", 4.6 lb., negative https://www.forcefin.com/bob-s-specials/force-fin-hockey-fin
- Hollis F2 -- XL 19.7", 1.7 lb.
- Aeris Accel - XL 21", < 3 lb. Accel
- SP Jets -- 21.8", 5.25 lb. https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.com/fins/fins/jet-fin-w-spring-heel-strap
- SP Go Travel -- XL 22", 2.6 lb, Scubapro Go Travel Fin
- Deep6 Eddy -- XL 22", 2.5 lb. Deep 6 Eddy Flippers
- APEKS RK3 -- XL 22.5 x 9.5", 2.75 lb.

I own 2 of the 3 fins you’re considering. I pack f2s for travel (photographer also so baggage allowance is stretched) but agree they really do lack bite in current. I’ve dove them on big current sites and phew did they make me work for it. For me personally my jets are too heavy for travel.

The jets maneuver very well of course and I find the F2s very stiff and just fine for more precise kicks like a back kick etc.

short flat stiff lightest

full.jpg

I’m also a fan of the classic military style of the Jetfin/rk3.
The OMS Slipstream is a complete Jet Fin copy in a lighter-weight material.
I don't recall the numbers, but they're on par with the lightest of technical fins. They feel a tiny bit softer than the original, and show more signs of wear.

The Slipstreams or Deep 6 Eddy fins both work. If you're a photographer, a stiff fin that can handle the precise positioning kicks you will need to frame your subject and hold your position is important.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom