Best Shore Snorkeling for Granddaughters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradMM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My soon to be 7 y'/o granddaughter has been mad that she can't go SCUBA diving with Papa (me) and her dad because she's too young. I would like to take her some place where we can access good snorkeling from the beach/shore to help her make the transition. She's already a fish in the water and most of the time, when we are together, she and I are in the water. My favorite thing to do just about anymore.

Looking online, Turks and Caicos seems to be a good option. The one time I was there, I wasn't impressed with the diving but it was all resort trips.

Want to stay in the Caribbean and suggestions would be welcome.

My soon to be 7 y'/o granddaughter has been mad that she can't go SCUBA diving with Papa (me) and her dad because she's too young. I would like to take her some place where we can access good snorkeling from the beach/shore to help her make the transition. She's already a fish in the water and most of the time, when we are together, she and I are in the water. My favorite thing to do just about anymore.

Looking online, Turks and Caicos seems to be a good option. The one time I was there, I wasn't impressed with the diving but it was all resort trips.

Want to stay in the Caribbean and suggestions would be welcome.

What time of year do you want to go? Provo in the T&Cs isn't a great option for snorkeling (or land-based diving) IMO, because the reefs are too far away and deep.

The Fredricksted Pier in St. Croix is a great spot for both shore-diving and snorkeling - you can go back to the site many times and never see it all.

There are nice places for snorkeling from shore on Grand Cayman; see Testudo's guide at the link below:
TESTUDO'S SNORKEL GUIDE Cayman Off the Beaten Path

If you are planning to travel soon, the Clearly Cayman resorts are offering a "kids stay and dive free" all-inclusive package and their Cobalt Coast resort on Grand Cayman has a house reef for snorkeling and diving:
Kids Dive & Stay For Free

There is also a group that offers Kids Sea Camp trips for families, see the link below:
Kids Sea Camp Calendar of events, dates and destinations- 2018 & 2019

But be aware that this summer has been a bad year for Sargassum seaweed in the Caribbean and Mexico and Central America. It is covering lots of beaches and shorelines and you have to swim through it to get to snorkel sites in some areas. I don't know if it is a problem in Florida or the Bahamas.

The rafts of seaweed move with the winds so it hard to predict where it will be this week - or next - but keep that in mind if you are planning to go this year; maybe Hawaii would be a better choice.

Last edited:
KathyV, thanks so much!

The T&C option was based on a website promoting it. One thing I've learned that "snorkeling" to some people is simply putting on the gear and getting in the water. It's all relative to what you've experienced before and sandy bottoms don't cut it for me.

St. Croix was my first dive trip in 1991 and I did a night dive under the pier. Great suggestion!

We just went to Grand Cayman July 2017 but didn't do any shore dives/snorkeling. It's my daugher-in-law's favorite destination so that sounds promising.

I have looked at an contacted the Sea Camp option but it looks like a lot of $$$ for nothing more than we could provide and be less schedule restricted. Plus, I want to be the one interacting with the g/d, not turn her over to someone else.

We probably won't go until next summer but thanks for the heads up on the Sargassum.

It was quite a while ago, but I did a lot of very good shallow snorkeling with my kids in Bermuda when they were young. Tobacco Bay and Church Bay are two I remember. There were also many gorgeous beaches. The water is quite cool in the winter but warm over the summer. We were there in July or August and the water was in the low 80s. We had a blast riding around the island on mopeds.

Only other place I snorkeled with my kids was in Hawaii, Maui and Kauai, both had good snorkel sites

Maui would be a good choice. Besides very good to excellent snorkeling in very shallow water off many of the beaches We stayed off Wailea Beach once and the snorkeling there was excellent as the reef comes in on both points. On the south its about 8-10' deep for a long way. Also the north side of Napili Beach would be a good snorkel. All those Snorkel Bob's shops are there for a reason..lol !/2 the Maui Dive Shops only rent snorkel gear..

there's also the trip out to Molokini Crater which is famous for shallwo, protected snorkeling. My family did the Pride of Maui once - it's a big powered cat, they anchor inside the crater in a protected area and it's mostly snorkelers plus they have a waterslide and do a bbq lunch. They even offer 1 tank dives. I'm not sure what the age limit is but Trilogy Sailing Charters offers SNUBA also. Big sailing catamarans - I've seen them off Molokini and I believe Lanai.

I seem to be always mentioning it but Curacao would work also. The famous Tugboat dive site is 14' deep - cruise snorkel excursions go there. The north side of Playa Jeremi is listed on Frommer's best of Carib Snorkel spots. And there's turtles living in 8' of water off Trunk Bay beach. I chased flounder once in 6' of water off Playa Kalki which is also an excellent dive site.

Plus she might like the Sea Aquarium and the Ostrich Farm. The diving is not too shabby either...lol

Thanks, diversteve! Wife and I going to Curacao in September so I'll check it out.

Bermuda was a good suggestion but from Texas it may be easier and less expensive going somewhere in the Caribbean.

Grand Cayman has some popular spots, Turtle Reef, Cemetery Beach, Smiths Cove all get mentioned. Heading to Cur for our 3rd dive trip and there are a number of excellent looking spots depending upon where you are staying. Tugboat, Cas Abou, Lagun, Playa Kalki all seem like good snorkeling spots. One of the best may be Playa Piscado out in Westpunt. We stayed there last two trips and have seen a number of snorkeling tour boats from Willemstad take loads of snorkel out this way. Tons of turtles and bait balls to be seen.

Never been to St. Croix but it and the pier are on the list.

Enjoy your trip.

We just got back from Bonaire, My 7 year snorkeled up and down the coast. She got to see an eagle ray, 6 turtles, and countless of fish. We put a snorkel vest on her just for visibility for the boats.

We were in Grand Cayman last July but I wasn't thinking in terms of 7 year olds, I was boat diving, so this is all a different perspective. Been to Bonaire a few times and the same thing... need to look through different eyes other than for my own diving. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom