Best shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwickert:
I am a newbie to Coz, and will probably only do one shore dive, I am thinking this will probably be a night dive.

Where would you dive, given that choice?

I read that Paradise beach has some of the better shore diving.

Does anyone have any experience diving there?

Thanks
Ken

The answer to your question depends a lot on your experience level.

I did a shore dive at a little beach a few km south/west (left of Cozumel along the coast when facing the mainland). Maybe that's Paradise beach, I dno't know. It has a little overhang that makes a nice swim through and when I was there we encountered a fairly large barracuda hanging inside. There are also a couple of small wrecks on the bottom and a lot of small coral fishes. It's nice for snorkeling too. I didn't log that dive so I don't know for sure how deep it is but from what I can remember, it has a sandy bottom and goes to a maximum of like 45 feet or so.

R..

All the shore diving I have done in Cozumel, I would have to say right off the La Ceiba hotel is the best. It has a plane wreck and the most to see if you swim out towards the cruise ships and the price is right at only $6 a tank

Thanks for the replys.

I have 35 dives, but unfortunately it has been about 8 months since my last dive.

My bouyancy skills are decent, I know how fragile corals are, and do sometimes end up skulling with my hands to stay away from them, and to my knowledge, I haven't touched one yet.

I know that being comfortable in the water comes from experience, which for me means quarry dives. I bought a 7mm suit, so hopefully I can get more dives in this year.

The shore dive will be after I have been in Coz for a couple of days, so I should have 5 or six dives in.

I am not crazy about swimming into currents, as this seems a bit too much like work. :frown3:

It sounds like Le Cieba may be it.

Thanks
Ken

kwickert:
Thanks for the replys.

I have 35 dives, but unfortunately it has been about 8 months since my last dive.

My bouyancy skills are decent, I know how fragile corals are, and do sometimes end up skulling with my hands to stay away from them, and to my knowledge, I haven't touched one yet.

I know that being comfortable in the water comes from experience, which for me means quarry dives. I bought a 7mm suit, so hopefully I can get more dives in this year.

The shore dive will be after I have been in Coz for a couple of days, so I should have 5 or six dives in.

I am not crazy about swimming into currents, as this seems a bit too much like work. :frown3:

It sounds like Le Cieba may be it.

Thanks
Ken

Well, there is Chankanaab Park. There are a couple of dive ops on premises, and nowadays you must hire a DM to dive there, but the cave vestibule is very neat and the reef runs right up to the shore.

The area between the hotels Villablanca and Caribe Blu has a lot of smaller coral heads and fans and such. I stay at Caribe Blu and night dive out there.

There are a few places where you can get out to the Wall from shore and drift it, but at 35 dives' experience, I'd say not yet.

I've heard good things about shore diving the piece of Paradise Reef between the Presidente and the Caleta, but I've never tried it myself.

We do our first check out dive of the week, as a shore dive, behind the Barracuda hotel.

Thank you once again for all the replies. :hug2:

You have to love the mighty scuba board!

The reason I am asking all this, is because someone from another board was looking for a dive buddy.

He has about 25 dives.

I told him I would join him for a night dive. :34:

Some of the logistics bother me, never having done this type of thing before, and never having been to Cozumel, but I am sure it will all fall into place when I get there.

I guess, what I am looking for is simple, I hope this doesn't mean barren. :headscrat

I know it won't compare to boat diving, but it would be nice to find a place with little current, to maybe get some macro shots at night.

I just want to prepare as best I can.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom