Question Best settings for GoPro 13?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReadyTo Dive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Normally Backscatter has a list for this but they have not made one for the 13 yet and I leave for a trip with it in 4 days.

Does anyone have a list of recommended settings for standard Caribbean blue water filming and photos? I am using 2 video lights (at depth) and no macro or wide lens. Thank you!

I have the 11 and used it on 3 dive trips this year with the backscatter "11" settings. I can't imagine the 13 settings would be any (or much) different than the 11 settings.

However, Backscatter is dead wrong about White Balance, in my opinion. Don't set White Balance to "Auto", or else your color will jump around constantly, and it's VERY distracting in your video. Set WB to 5500 or 6000 so it doesn't jump around within a video clip.

I have the 11 and used it on 3 dive trips this year with the backscatter "11" settings. I can't imagine the 13 settings would be any (or much) different than the 11 settings.

However, Backscatter is dead wrong about White Balance, in my opinion. Don't set White Balance to "Auto", or else your color will jump around constantly, and it's VERY distracting in your video. Set WB to 5500 or 6000 so it doesn't jump around within a video clip.
I have looked at the 11/12 best settings list and there are indeed some different menu options for the 13 from the 11/12.

I do remember using the auto WB on a GP9 I had and having the problem you mentioned so I will try your suggestion of 5500 this trip; TY for your reply.

Does UCC work if WB is fixed? I always thought WB needs to be auto for UCC to tweak as per the light conditions …

Could you explain a bit more about this please?
In layman’s terms - UCC is Underwater Color Correction - it changes the color temperature of the scene being recorded using the implemented algorithm that reads the original or current RGB values of the scene and readjusts their values to bump the reds or lower the greens and blues on the fly before the camera actually writes the sensor data into the video file being recorded. For this to occur the WB setting has to be auto or dynamic so the software can recalibrate the RGB values dynamically on-the-fly for the frames being written to the memory card.

So I believe if you fix the WB to a specific value then UCC will not work. Correct me if I am wrong please someone?

As previously said auto WB keeps changing the correction : that's very bad. Apart that it looks very strange on your video, it makes it very difficult for you to correct it afterward. I don't know about UCC but it seems it also keeps changing the correction during the dive : same problem, very bad. For WB put a fix value as said before or native (or something like that depending of the language).
I don't block the ISO at 800 but I put more like 1600 (if it darks you need to have the sensibility up or your video will be very dark (even if it is a bit grainy). I do my video in 2,7k (4k takes too much space on my sd cards and it is a bit useless I think). I put the sharpness to high as in the water the sharpness is naturally down. And I put the color to bright (not sure it is the word in the english language). Those 2 last parameters are generally not recommended but after many tests I think they work better

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom