Best regulator hose length for short-hose setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hatul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need to replace my old Miflex hoses in a traditional short-hose setup and am wondering about the optimal lengths to choose for my primary (no swivel) and octo hoses. Both will be Miflex again. My current hoses are 30 inch (primary) and 36 (octo).

I would use the same as a "Streamlined ow" setup and go with 22"/40". No reason for a primary hose to be 30" long and the extra couple inches on the secondary isn't going to hurt anyone. Also gives you an easy swap over to a primary donate setup should you change your mind down the road.

My first regs (Scubapro Mk 10 + Balanced Adjustable, purchased new in 1987) shipped with a 28" reg hose. The "octopus" version of the BA shipped with a 32" reg hose. My later 2nd stages (G250 and D400) all shipped new with a 32" reg hose.

For me, 32" is about right for the primary 2nd stage (and for the octopus 2nd stage, if I use one). 32" provides the most options for rec diving, without being onerously long, IMHO. And having both hoses the same length simplifies my save-a-dive kit.

I have a couple of 40" reg hoses (yellow and orange) that I used to use with my slung deco bottles when I was deco diving. I now use the yellow one with my octopus 2nd stage when I attach one to my DH reg (VDH PRAM). I would prefer a 32" hose, though. (I use the 40" hose because I have it--that is, it's already paid for!)

rx7diver

@rx7diver one advantage of the 40" secondary hose under your arm is that you can tuck the hose in your waist belt. The only time I dive with that type of configuration is with my Argonaut Kraken so I have the second stage under my right arm a la "normal" style and it's on a 40" hose largely because that's the standard hose length for deco/stage bottles and I have a bunch, but it does all it to stay tucked which is super convenient.

I ordered a 26" Miflex hose for my primary and 40" for the octo. I can try it on land for feel and can always exchange for different length. I borrowed an idea from tech diving and use a bungee necklace for my primary second stage so I never lose this reg. It can be pulled out in emergency. My octo is on the longer hose and is what I use for sharing and is attached with a magnetic holder. The system works well for me.

I pointed out a potential problem with an angle or swivel adapter in another forum. Both, when pressurized, can exert a torque on the second stage connection and cause it to loosen and leak. I speak from experience as I used the Atomic swivel in the past and it happened to me. So if you use an adapter you need to make sure the connection is tight before each dive.

Adam

I ordered a 26" Miflex hose for my primary and 40" for the octo. I can try it on land for feel and can always exchange for different length. I borrowed an idea from tech diving and use a bungee necklace for my primary second stage so I never loose this reg. It can be pulled out in emergency. My octo is on the longer hose and is what I use for sharing and is attached with a magnetic holder. The system works well for me.

I pointed out a potential problem with an angle or swivel adapter in another forum. Both, when pressurized, can exert a torque on the second stage connection and cause it to loosen and leak. I speak from experience as I used the Atomic swivel in the past and it happened to me. So if you use an adapter you need to make sure the connection is tight before each dive.

Adam

you can put an 013 o-ring on the regulator side and it will largely prevent this from happening. The same phenomenon can happen with the normal hose though, they use the same connection. Easier when the swivel is bent 90* obviously due to the moment arm, but it's still possible without it.

I ordered a 26" Miflex hose for my primary and 40" for the octo. I can try it on land for feel and can always exchange for different length...

Watch for bowing out of the 26" bungied hose around your neck. 22" is standard, and streamlines nicely on most divers.

If your tank is really low and you can't reach your valve or you're really tall, then the 26" might sit nicely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom