best Quality:time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SailNaked

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am sure this is answered but did not find it.

what is the best quality to disk space ratio?

I do not want the fish to seem jerky, so higher fps is better but what is the minimum to keep fish smooth?

do I need 1080 or 1448? what is minimum DPI?

and last what is best angle? wide? med?

I plan to shoot the little things in the reef as close as I can. but obviously if I see a shark I will film it at a distance.
I have a setup that will put 6 High output LEDs on the subject.

I would like to view this on my monitor at home, but it is 32" and maybe even watch it on the 53" tv.
Is there a table that shows all the possible resolutions and what you can expect from say a 32G card.

I would do 1080/30 or to save a little more space 720/30. You could even go as low as 24FPS any slower and it will be crappy, but I think 30FPS would be fine. Both 1080 and 720 are high def so they will look good. Going higher is probably a waste. Most monitors and TV's don't go beyond 1080.

I haven't done close up macro video yet. Some suggest medium or narrow. I don't know if that is good or not but if you will be filming distance than Wide is the way to go. Switching between modes on the GoPro is a pain. Unless told otherwise I would stick to wide.

With a 32GB card doing high quality 1080/60, I figure 1.5 -2 hrs would fit.

Be aware that changing field of view down to medium or narrow will also bring the video quality down.

Best to experiment a little topside to see if medium and narrow are still good enough for you. Especially if you shoot 720.

Some people are happy with the quality in narrow mode, some not. Only way to tell is to compare it with your own eyes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom