Best Point & Shoot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billmosel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a olympus 600 with the housing and I'm looking for a new camera. I like my olympus but with new technology out there I'm sure that there is something better for what I need. I like the simplicity of the point & shoot and was wondering your opinions on what camera you like and why.

I'm currently using a Canon G10, Ikelite housing, Ikelite DS-51 setup. I've had some pretty decent results with it. There are some limitations to wide angle with the G'series, but beyond that they are the perfect point n' shoot. Here's a good underwater camera round up review: Underwater Camera Articles: Review: Best Underwater Point & Shoot Cameras for 2009

The Canon G11 has just recently been released as well as the S90. Both would be the ideal choice for any underwater photographer not ready to venture into the DSLR market.

Regardless of brand, the three main features you should look for in an underwater camera would be good low light performance, manual controls and housing availability.

I have a Canon A650 IS... I'm happy with it, however, the only reason I bought it insteaed of the G10, was the swiveling LCD (which I find VERY useful on land). If I were buying new, and had my druthers, I'd go for the Canon G11 (which they've now included the swiveling LCD). I've had G-series before, and they are never a disappointment. They've ratcheted back the MP rating on the G11, which I think is a GOOD thing (megapixels are overrated, and they just tend to produce more noise, at the 12MP+ levels). With the same CCD as its predecessor, and a slightly lower MP rating, the final resolution is actually better.
It shoots RAW, and has all the features you'd expect in a top-of-the-line P&S.

The new G11 seems to be getting fabulous reviews, with only the also-new S90 giving it any competition.

One feature in a p/s not to overlook is the hotshoe. Will allow you to add bulkhead connector and direct wire your lighting system. Permit use of TTL if so desired.

I'm using a G10 with a Patima Housing and the results are stunning to say the least.

The G11 has had a few minor changes over the 10 with the reduced pixel count( and thus noise) being the most obvious along with the swivel screen. The W/Angle points that a number of people complain about on the G series is only a problem if you want to shoot ultra wide or fish eye. (Reef Photo and Video have a lovely W/A Wet lens at 105 degree FOV which is the same as the old Nikonos 15mm lens. There is also a Dyson lens system available as well) Depending on which housing you go with (the choice is many and varied) there are plenty of options for external flashes. The option of using the hot shoe and a TTL converter is a great bonus and the camera shoots in RAW format for ease of Post Processing.

Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom