Best place to learn Trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dear all,

I am starting to think more and more about learning to dive with trimix. Within the following two years, I would like to dedicate a trip of a few weeks to explore the deeper depths. At the moment I'm technical (&) cave certified, and I'm wondering what would be the best place to do my training (and diving!).

As I continue to learn and progress as a diver, I notice that the abundancy of information becomes less and less the further you advance, as the information becomes more specific/specialized and the amount of people sharing information also naturally decreases due to the simple fact that less people reach and teach these levels, compared to for example an open water course. This is why I'm looking for help here, hoping for some good advice from experienced divers.

Although the actual dive center and instructor of course is of very high importance, I'm also simply wondering where diving with trimix really comes into its own. In other words, where can one see amazing things especially well when diving with Trimix? I absolutely love sharks, but it could also be something like formations of something historical (wreck). Of course other factors are also important, such as costs and the accessability of the region (I'm from the Netherlands, but this is not necesarily a constraint).

All advice is welcome! Even something simple that could shift my focus or could give me some ideas.

PS: I will only leave after the COVID-19 situation has settled down, so don't 'write off' any places due to it.
PS2: Any indications of the prices of only helium for an average Trimix course?

Thanks!

Scapa. Not mad deep, lots to see. Find a buddy and persuade whichever instructor you choose to do it there. Drivable for you.

I did Advanced Mixed gas in Shetland kind of like this.

I would generally say that the best is in the same environment that you generally plan to dive.
Also look into availability of Helium. Sourcing it can be an issue. Last year we went to Truk and they were out. We had to make special arrangements to get any and we had so little that only the rebreathers were allowed to use it. Next year there is a Bikini trip planned, that is 100% rebreathers as there will not be enough Helium available for open circuit. Simply put, the boat won't have the capacity to carry enough Helium regardless of costs. Some will say that a rebreather is good for saving money on Helium. I'm finding it a necessity just to get Helium.

I'm OC Tri Mix and don't dive that level because it's too much money, too much hassle. I too want to dive deeper areas, have more freedom but I'm switching over to CCR for that - if it ever happens.

My plan with Tri Mix all along was to be trained one level higher than I commonly dove, to gain a little more deco theory knowledge - I think it was well worth that. If friends want to do a 200' dive, I can do it with 18/35 and feel comfortable but the cost here is just stupid. CCR is the future.....

Without Covid-19 I would have done my normoxic course past spring, now I hope it will be spring 2021.

The main reason I want it is to be able to go down “the shaft” in Ressel.
In open water I think that the wrecks in Malta and in Italy(Portofino) are worth visiting.

I will do my normoxic trimix course in Sicily this September; the instructor is GUE, but I think he offers also other agencies (FIPSAS, which is CMAS affiliate, and PADI). By the way, Sicily is amazing and deserves a one-week tour just to visit the island, so you may opt for a two weeks trip, diving+standard tourism (the Etna volcano erupts often, if you are lucky you may be able to go relatively close to the lava - I think there aren't many other possibilities to have such an experience, and Sicilian cuisine is a unique experience).

They already mentioned Portofino and Malta. Since you are travelling, I guess you are interested only in very beautiful places, so other options can be the Mediterranean coast of France, and Croatia. In the mediterranean sea, it is quite hard to see sharks in my experience, but there are plenty of wrecks and other natural beauties to see. Maybe other places are very nice as well.

I cannot suggest anything about the north of Europe, sorry.

Keep in mind that any preference for a specific agency can make a big difference.

Scapa. Not mad deep, lots to see. Find a buddy and persuade whichever instructor you choose to do it there. Drivable for you.

I did Advanced Mixed gas in Shetland kind of like this.
Scapa Flow itself is hardly trimix depth but there are some deeper wreck dives outside the Flow that are definitely trimix worthy. Give Emily a shout for details Home

How about Northern Croatia? Diving out of Krnica is great logistics, good wrecks from 25m down to silly, and lots of fun stuff to see. Lots of other Dutch there too for different things, local camp sites, chalets or possibly hotels. Krnica diving can sort pretty much everything if you want them to.
Summer 2018 was about €100 per trimix dive including gas, hire cylinders (D12, Ali 80/7/40) and boat fees. Not sure how it's changed.
Rich

I was supposed to do some Trimix dives in Malta in May but got ‘Rona-fied (stranded) in Florida. The folks organizing the trip were all long-term varsity divers so if it passes their test, I’m sure it’s pretty spectacular.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom