Best Place to Get Certified Rockland/Orange/Westchester/Bergen Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carolrose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys,
I am looking for a recommendation for a good instructor or shop to train with and get certified with. I would prefer a longer more in depth course to a quickie. I live in Harriman NY which is in Orange county, but I don't mind some travel, so anywhere in Orange, Rockland, Westchester, or even Bergen or that part of NJ is good. I mostly just want the best training I can get, so if you know someone great who's further away, please tell me about them too. I also travel to MA pretty frequently, so if there's someone there who's just the best, I'm open to hearing about them also.
Thanks for any help or advice.
Carol.

caroln:
Hi Guys,
I am looking for a recommendation for a good instructor or shop to train with and get certified with. I would prefer a longer more in depth course to a quickie. I live in Harriman NY which is in Orange county, but I don't mind some travel, so anywhere in Orange, Rockland, Westchester, or even Bergen or that part of NJ is good. I mostly just want the best training I can get, so if you know someone great who's further away, please tell me about them too. I also travel to MA pretty frequently, so if there's someone there who's just the best, I'm open to hearing about them also.
Thanks for any help or advice.
Carol.
we are located on the westchester/bronx border..capt mikes diving..city island ny..718 885 1588..I have been teaching since 1971 and owner is former nypd detective retired from scuba team...drop by and we will explain everything and then you can choose if you would like to give us a try..530 city island ave bx ny 10464.

oly5050user:
we are located on the westchester/bronx border..capt mikes diving..city island ny..718 885 1588..I have been teaching since 1971 and owner is former nypd detective retired from scuba team...drop by and we will explain everything and then you can choose if you would like to give us a try..530 city island ave bx ny 10464.

First, ignore my post on other theread, as now know where you are.

I am not associated with Capt Mike, (but another shop on Long Island) but for your convenience Capt Mike is an excellent choice. I have done several Ice diving trips (including Ice Cert) with them. They are really great guys.

Thank you guys for the info and recommendations. I have my appointment to get ears/sinuses checked out by a dive medicine ENT doc to be sure all is well there next Monday, and will be giving you guys a call next week if I get the green light.

DEEPLOU:
First, ignore my post on other theread, as now know where you are.

I am not associated with Capt Mike, (but another shop on Long Island) but for your convenience Capt Mike is an excellent choice. I have done several Ice diving trips (including Ice Cert) with them. They are really great guys.

Thank you Lou..flattery will get you everywhere...

Hi...

If you're in Harriman, the most convenient place I'm aware of to you is likely Blue Water Divers. ( bluewaterdivers.com ) They're just down Rte. 17 from you in Ramsey. (Though if you go to the Ramsey store, note that they're on 17 North and you'll have to do the 17 U-turn via Lake Street, being careful to note that there's another entry to 17 North, (I forget the street), right before their driveway. So you have to get right real fast.

They've got another store in New Rochelle, NJ, about 10 - 15 min. down the road just south of the Mall by rte. 4. They've got an indoor pool there where I think they do some of their first primary training. Like everyone else in the area, they use Dutch Springs for open water stuff.

I've used them as my dive shop for the past few years. They're decent and knowledgeable, like a lot of the dive shops in the area. I'm just thinking these folks may be most convenient for you.

If you've got any questions, let me know. Or check out their site. They have a club and monthly meetings. So you can go check one of those out before making a commitment to training with them.

Oh yeah, they also coordinate a yearly lake cleanup in one of the Harriman Park lakes. (It was yesterday actually, though I couldn't make it this year.) Only time you can legally dive in the lakes. Though the vis can make it not worth doing in any case depending on the year/weather.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom