Best place to buy packages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JillGadget

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK... I researching for our Christmas gift to ourselves. Im tired of grainy, gray ugly pictures from my sony digital with underwater case. It is NOT upgradeable for stobe at least not within my limited baby knowledge. Im trying to learn and figure out which one I want but WHERE is it recommended to get them. Im noticing sites carrying the housing but not the camera or visa versa. I was looking at the Canon 300d as I see a lot of pics are beautiful.. I do not have a photo class back round and would like to take the underwater photography course once I get my set up.

Thanks for listening to my rambling.
Jill

In my limited knowledge, I think it is not uncommon to get the camera separate from the housing (with some definite exceptions). I purchased everything I have except the camera from B&H Photo www.bhphotovideo.com and was extremely happy with their prices and service. There are others that everybody will mention (Reef Photo is one I can think of). My suggestion, come up with a couple of "wants" in the camera, decide on a a couple of camera possibilities, then do a search on the housing and strobe options. IMHO, this is not the time to skimp too much (but then again diving is just a way to open my wallet) but you can pull a decent system together with the help of SB's and a good store.

PS....consider buoyancy when you pick a system. They tend to be negatively buoyant as delivered.

check with shark'sdelight once you know what you want and the best price.

JillGadget:
OK... I researching for our Christmas gift to ourselves. Im tired of grainy, gray ugly pictures from my sony digital with underwater case. It is NOT upgradeable for stobe at least not within my limited baby knowledge. Im trying to learn and figure out which one I want but WHERE is it recommended to get them. Im noticing sites carrying the housing but not the camera or visa versa. I was looking at the Canon 300d as I see a lot of pics are beautiful.. I do not have a photo class back round and would like to take the underwater photography course once I get my set up.

Jill

OK, I see two things here:

1 - you're looking at the 300? The dslr? This might be more than you want/need. If you haven't found it already, have a look at the FAQ that is Stickied at the top of the UW Photo area. You can also get there via the Pink Link in my signature.

DSLRs are great but they are expensive, bulky and take a bit of getting used to. This might be perfect for you or you may find that a compact is a better option to get started.

2 - buying...www.reefphoto.com are great. They know their stuff, are able to offer great recommendations to suit your budget (whatever you decide on will be too low initially :wink: ) and needs.

I often buy the actual camera and lenses elsewhere and go to Reef for the dedicated underwater stuff.

Again, in the Sticky you will find some suggestions on where to buy and where to begin looking for gear.

Hope this helps you get started!

Amazon.... Sometimes, they have a good deal......

Thanks for all your help. I think I will stop by Reef Photo next time in FL (hopefully soon), I like the fact you can go to a physical store and see what you all talk about..TTL, converters etc.... Helps me to learn. Alcina, you are definately right about not getting something so over my head I wouldnt be able to sqeek out a photo. I do, however, want something that can grow with me. Something that I can get Macro and Wide angle lens. Some people really poo poo Sea and Sea and Sea Life so I was going with others who like Canon, Nicon or Oly since they are reputable "main" brands.

Interesting statement on boyancy since I am just now getting my own under control (atleast with no wetsuit - that wetsuit will screw me up everytime):no

Thanks again...IM ON A MISSION

I bought my UW housing for my a70 from BH Photo. They are in NY and have a HUGE warehouse store. Problem was that I ordered it too late and they send me the wrong item. I'll give the new one a try at DS.

Buoyancy is just as important as the camera equipment, not that I'm an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I was talking to a well known photographer/videographer at BTS last year. He told me to come down to Holbox and take his class. I told him I didn't think my buoyancy was where it needed to be and he concured. If it's not solid, don't waste your money on the class.

Just an example...nothing says you can't start shooting and practicing! I'm just learning myself! :D

I was trying to shoot some pictures with Ben's Oly 7070 and the surge caused so much back and forth movement that it was very difficult to get a shot. I sat over some Christmas Tree worms for about three minutes and just couldn't get a shot.

Good luck! You knew the mission was dangerously expensive when you undertook it....:eyebrow:

I bought my UW housing for my a70 from BH Photo. They are in NY and have a HUGE warehouse store. Problem was that I ordered it too late and they send me the wrong item. I'll give the new one a try at DS.

Buoyancy is just as important as the camera equipment, not that I'm an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I was talking to a well known photographer/videographer at BTS last year. He told me to come down to Holbox and take his class. I told him I didn't think my buoyancy was where it needed to be and he concured. If it's not solid, don't waste your money on the class.

Just an example...nothing says you can't start shooting and practicing! I'm just learning myself! :D

I was trying to shoot some pictures with Ben's Oly 7070 and the surge caused so much back and forth movement that it was very difficult to get a shot. I sat over some Christmas Tree worms for about three minutes and just couldn't get a shot.

Good luck! You knew the mission was dangerously expensive when you undertook it....:eyebrow:

LOL Jack, I hink you are trying to come up with another excuse to go back to Mexico... You know I'm up to it!!! That surge was pretty good down there, first drift dive, I got a fairly good shot of an anenomie I'll see if I can figure out how to put it in here. Just my camera you can't add flash or lens... Land camera converted..

There is a pro in Key Largo as well, was thinking the same thing. Taking them, i Think is half is taking it and another portion playing with the photo sw. I need to learn to do both. :11doh:
Jill

Attachments

• anenomie.JPG
    anenomie.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 24

Thanks for listening to my rambling.
Jill
If you want to go with a DSLR, check out my post under Nikon. I have a D-80 package for sale & will do my damnedest to beat any camera shop prices! I'm a Fantasea dealer because I couldn't understand why other housings were SO overpriced when I went looking. Check out Fantasea's website.

Buy what's RIGHT for YOU!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom