Best Place to buy Bungee Cord for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MargaritaMike

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi folks,
Before I get too far into this, I will go ahead and call myself stupid to save everyone the trouble. Now with that out of the way, I want to legally obtain a small quantity of bungee cord. I think 3/16" is the size I want and I'm not real sure if THAT'S the correct size. I want to use it to maybe use as a strap for my wrist computer. Also, I may want to use it to secure a light or other object from swinging freely from my BCD (I don't use BP/W, but thinking about it) so I don't look like a Christmas tree or other similar holiday symbol. I may want to use it to put my coiled up 7' primary hose into. Bottom line is that I want to buy bungee cord to have on hand for any number of potential uses. My question is basically what size or sizes do I need. I don't need a large quantity so can I buy in small quantities economically? I'm guessing that I won't need more than 20 or 25 feet (6 or 7 meters) for the rest of my life. Are there more than one size that I should own? Again, can I buy small quantities economically? Is there a table somewhere that tells you what size to use for a given purpose?
Before you say to yourself or the nearest living creature, "Wow, is that guy stupid?", I'll say it. I have an idea, but I would appreciate some input in earnest.
(To the Moderators: if this belongs in another forum, please advise.)

Cheers -

I buy it from Hobby Lobby. Always available and super cheap. I think that it’s 3/16”.

Amazon.

I have a couple different versions off Amazon. Works as good as any other. The oldest is years old and still going good.

I want to legally obtain a small quantity of bungee cord.

Oh, legally. Good thing you specified that, I was gonna suggest sneaking up behind another diver and cutting his dive computer and light off with your shears... :D

Is there a table somewhere that tells you what size to use for a given purpose?

Here you go! Table at the bottom of the page.

Northeast Scuba Supply (NESS); this page has links to paracord, shock (bungie) cord and webbing.
Hardware

I find that black market bungee cord is far superior to brick and mortar bungee. However, prices are high and dealers are well nigh impossible to find. I would offer to help but my dealer has sworn me silence lest I want to visit Davy Jones locker.

DGX, NESS, Piranha all have what you need. If you want the absolute best bungee ever made, call up Barry Cordage in Canada and buy some of that French made acrobatic bungee.

You should be able to get it at any outdoor store that sells camping stuff. Places like REI, or often army surplus type places. If you can find it locally you can see and feel it to get the size you after.

Reactions: Zef
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom