Best place on island to purchase a dive mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paula Gabier

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I do not live near a lot of dive shops, and I am thinking my best bet will be to purchase a new mask down in Cozumel. The one I have now is old and leaks on me! Any recommendations on a dive shop that has a lot of new gear (particularly masks) available for sale?
Thank you! Paula

I do not live near a lot of dive shops, and I am thinking my best bet will be to purchase a new mask down in Cozumel. The one I have now is old and leaks on me! Any recommendations on a dive shop that has a lot of new gear (particularly masks) available for sale?
Thank you! Paula
ProDive has the largest storefront dive shop I know of on the island. It's on the corner one block off the main drag and one block south of the plaza at the end of the pedestrian walkway.

ProDive is at the corner of Salas and 5th Ave, and they do seem to be the biggest store of new scuba gear for sale in town, but you may find their prices high. There are several shops in Raleigh that are much closer to you than I am to any dive shops, and I'd shop close to home first.

We needed a mask and Pony the manager at 3P got us one from Cozumel Scuba Repair. Great mask and very inexpensive

Cozumel Scuba Repair, he has a lot of masks there... Not the easiest place to get to but it is on Google maps, cab drivers might notknow where it is at..

Prodive and Scuba Repair have larger selections. There are some other smaller ones like Studio Blue and Aqua Pro about 1/2 block each from Prodive that I have used.

Yeah.. Studio Blue had some nice masks last time I was there... Pricey to buy them on the island but I've been in there a few times for some hard-to-find batteries and such and checked some out. Finding the right mask for YOU (or ME) takes some time as it's not about price, it's all about fit and the best mask for your face very well may not be very expensive. I have a wide face and the best mask for me ended up being the Oceanic Shadow mask. Back when I got mine years ago it only came in clear silicone. Today I'd get it in the black silicone if/when it ever needs replaced as clear silicone lets more light in which causes the pupils of your eyes to constrict just a bit more. Black silicone shuts that light out and lets your eyes dilate more under water which increases overall brightness that you see.

Late suggestion, the OP has probably resolved the original problem, but if anyone else is looking for a basic 'generic' item check out Scuba price on 5th Ave and Calle 9th (half block south towards the cemetery). Jimmy's stock is more wholesale to the shops on the island but still open to the public. He supplies a lot of the shops with masks, wet suites, fins ect. The premier shops such as Cozumel scuba repair and Pro Dive carry name brand import items and can support a diverse group of divers (and I use CSR) but that increases their costs. Scuba price carries some name brands (including JBL pole spears) but also a lot of domestically produced items. Not really 'Walmart' but more of a niche shop that should be able to accommodate most divers needs

upload_2021-9-1_18-2-2.png

Late suggestion, the OP has probably resolved the original problem, but if anyone else is looking for a basic 'generic' item check out Scuba price on 5th Ave and Calle 9th (half block south towards the cemetery). Jimmy's stock is more wholesale to the shops on the island but still open to the public. He supplies a lot of the shops with masks, wet suites, fins ect. The premier shops such as Cozumel scuba repair and Pro Dive carry name brand import items and can support a diverse group of divers (and I use CSR) but that increases their costs. Scuba price carries some name brands (including JBL pole spears) but also a lot of domestically produced items. Not really 'Walmart' but more of a niche shop that should be able to accommodate most divers needs

Good to know. I've always been fine getting generic low-profile frameless masks for about $30 online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom